View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Groton Video 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow – I felt so sorry for Joe Vega, and I wanted to punch the guy who would not leave her alone about her art. I am sure that he has been forced to suffer the same feelings of alienation and discrimination throughout his short, privileged, white, male, upbringing. I was also dismayed by the other boy who kept talking about his desire for power. I really wonder if his dream has come true (how sad).

By the way here is a link to Groton’s website for anyone who is interested.

http://groton.org/home/home.asp

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree April, it made me so mad. I thought about it last night, I was eating dinner with some friends and one of the guys started talking about "those Mexicans". Well, you know how I feel about that :-) I told him he was a stupid white boy and to shut his mouth.
When we were watching the movie you could just feel Joe's frustration, it was obvious by looking at her face. I don't even begin to know how to reach that kid to make him understand, I doubt he has ever wanted for anything in his whole life.
I went and checked out Groton's webpage - wonder if they're proud to know that they were producing power hungry dictator-wannabes? It seems like a good idea, and they seem to have good values but I think its hard to teach morals and humbleness to someone who has always had everything handed to them on a silver platter.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

And, on the other hand, it is hard to teach someone who has always felt powerless that they have control over their own lives. Barbara Jennings finds this power through spirituality and the support of her church, but even then she was left alone to handle problems much bigger than herself sometimes.

What would have happened to Cedric if his mother hadn't found religion? What about all the other disenfranchised people for whom religion is not the answer? People with no support networks at all? I suppose I think more about this because, teaching in the areas where I have taught, my struggle has been to show kids they're valuable when they believe they are worthless. It is even more frustrating to fail at this than for me to think about confronting those "silver platter" adolescents and try to show them the other side of life. :x

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]