View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Hope in the Unseen - 1st Thought 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Right now I like this book much better than the other 2 we've read. Its been much easier to get into and absorb. However, I am still having a hard time having my eyes opened to all of the pain and strife- and VIOLENCE that exists in our country. REading the part about the school gossip - the kid that was shot at lunch, another that was hacked with an ax, fires set in the bathrooms, bodies dumped in the parking lots...I still can not BELIEVE this stuff happens in America.
I know it does and that there is far more to this world than what I have witnessed in my white middle class rural upbringing. It still just makes me furious though, that there are kids in the world that have to endure this type of life. Where did the world go so wrong so as to make violence and hatred seem so cool?

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You know there has to be someone on the top! If the only way to get there is to bully people and ignore the basic needs- that's what has to be done.
I really hope I am teaching my children to notice people and help them. They seem to be conscious of those needing friends and are the first wanting to lend a hand to those in need. They each make a shoebox or two every year, and Brandy has organized a canned food drive every year around Easter for a local family. My husband was at the fire on 105 Bypass, and the kids were touched by the sadness and were willing to help. Tyler was CPR certified at 9.
I'm not trying to make my kids,(or Steve and myself), sound like super kids, but it takes an effort on the part of the parent to help teach kids how to treat others.
The kids in the video were, obviously, taught at a distance- "those people are less fortunate. . . ", but the boy who fussed at Jo felt what he was saying was right. What he said is what he was taught. I am not trying to dismiss what he said. It was hurtfull and he did not want to hear Jo's side of things. He should be slapped into reality. Just as the politicans and others who close their eyes to the violence need to be slapped into reality. Just as in Kozol's book- these kids are expendable. They are not going to be the next president or CEO. They may be the next manager of McD's!

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]