View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Another Nickel and Dimed Rant 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As I talked with people about Nickel and Dimed I was told that when that author came and spoke at ASU, the crowd was not very pleased. Does anyone know if this is true? I guess her direct manner and liberal views rubbed some people the wrong way. I could not see how until I got to the part about her scrubbing shit off the toilets while working as a maid. I am sure that her straightforwardness in that section could offend some people, but I felt that it was necessary. It is too easy to close our eyes and see the world as we would like to see it. It is much more difficult to see the world as it is because then we are forced to examine our own role in it. How can we get our American society as a whole to realize that though the thought of... if you work hard you can accomplish anything is nice – it is not fairly applied and offered to all people. I would like to start there. Opening peoples eyes to be more compassionate; then, maybe move on to convincing the oppressed that they deserve better.

PS. As I spellchecked this post the auto correct wanted to change the word “maidâ€

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know anything about her visit at ASU, but I'd like to say that I agree with the "eyes wide shut" attitude of American society. Yes, the toilets do get cleaned, the tea at the local diner gets refilled, the shelves at Wal-Mart get straightened, but we for the most part don't think about the hands who get the work done until it's not done to our satisfaction. Putting ourselves in others' shoes is something we should do more of.

During my first sociology class in college, I watched a video about two female high school seniors from different socioeconomic backgrounds who were both planning to attend college the next semester. Grades being relatively equal, they both were accepted into decent colleges but one had to work nights and weekends to save, along with searching for every scholarship opportunity coming and going, while the other didn't need to give the financing a second thought. It's easy for us to say if you work hard you can accomplish anything, but the truth is a large percentage of people have to work a lot harder to achieve the same result. As Nickel and Dimed demonstrated, many people work a lot harder for a much lesser result.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Reading ya'lls thoughts made me think about drug dealers. Not hard-core-pop-a-cap-in-your-ass-drug-dealers, but high school kids who deal. Because they can make $1,000 in a week, easy. When your family has no food, no heat, and your parents are either un-employed or working themselves to death in a factory, I can understand kids dealing drugs. I don't condone it, but I can understand the reasoning behind it. Why work yourself into the ground for nothing when they can deal and have cash flowing in? Granted, this is absolutely not true of everyone or every community, every situation. But I've seen it a lot, and its heartbreaking. Another one slips through the cracks.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]