View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Snooping 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As I was playing today with the forum, I decided to check out what the cohort had to say about our topics. I found a message titled the Walmart Image. I will admit I am one of the people that is all for the local stores and helping small mom & pop stores stay in business, but at the same time, I am one of the people who will shop at Wally-world when I am near. Even though there is a K-Mart right around the corner that needs my help to stay open. I do get my medicine from Boone Drug, which is becoming a large chain in itself, but atleast I can pretend I am doing my part. Now, back to the story. . .
I don't see how a company that pays so low can pretend that they are doing so much for the community. They pay low wages to the workers, and do not include a benefit package. What they are doing is offering a "service" to their employees and other members of the community, but in turn are insuring their employees' check comes back to them. I know so many people who work for WalMart and when payday comes they turn and buy something before they go home. Well, wonderful, the check did not even make it out the door. Now, add the cost of medical care. You work at Walmart and your child is sick. . . You pick up your check, buy a gallon of milk, go home, Susie is sick. You turn around a take Susie back to the low cost medical center at Walmart- more of the check goes back into the store. . . BECAUSE while you are there you have to go by the medicine isle and pick up a few things, cough medicine and the prescription! What a great deal!
What do you all think?

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know the in's and out's of Wal-mart's employment and benefits policies, but I have heard one positive story. A girl in our community worked for Wal-mart during the summers between semesters at NCSU and apparently worked there long enough to receive benefits - specifically health insurance (not sure what else was included). She graduated from NCSU in May, continued working at Wal-mart while looking for a teaching position, and in August got a job teaching with us - a temporary position to fill a leave of absence until Christmas. Well, in public school, a temporary position comes with no benefits (the employee isn't even eligible to purchase the health insurance from the state). Well, Wal-mart worked a deal with her to work on the weekends and CONTINUE her health insurance with them. That was quite a suprise to me. It actually made me very happy because I wanted to give her benefits but couldn't!!

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am glad to hear about the positive of Walmart- I obviously only hear the bad side of things. . .

Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]