View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Observation 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my introduction to literature class yesterday we had just finished Fahrenheit 451, and we were talking about censorship and freedom. At the end of this novel, Bradbury writes in a Coda about how minorities are destroying creative freedom. His argument is passionate, and all of my students were swept away by it.

After reading it, I always shake my head in dismay. It seems that nowadays people hate disagreement. Instead of saying the minorities are complaining, let’s examine their grievances, they say these people need to should stop bitching. The first reaction to a disagreement is always defensive instead of reflective. My all time favorite response is shut up or leave America (note my sarcasm).

To many of my students real world issues are black and white, and these students feel that they have the answer to what is right and wrong. I don’t really know what I am trying to say here except that I am a little discouraged. I hope to at least get my students to see the world in shades of gray.

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Priority in education is beginning to revolve more and more around preparing problem solvers for the global economy. Students more than ever need to know how to synergize with "foreign folk." In order to do this successfully, we do need to see and appreciate the "gray" April described. We need to accept others' ideas and work together. That sounds like a cliche, but isn't it true that we cannot learn from one another unless we listen ... not "listen and nod" like Lisa Delpit says we white people do ... but actually take heed and work with those ideas, adding them to our own and doing something with this new conglomeration of ideas. I realize life isn't all about economy, but it has a profound effect on our lives, no matter where we live.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]