View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 EQ 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post EQ
I found an article in a magazine my manager at TRR had on his desk. I thought it would fit in with our topic at the beginning of the semester. . . I thought I may be able to attach it on the forum somehow, but guess not. . .

I know I'll forget to bring it to class, so scanned and copy/pasted it here!
Just forgive some of the typographical changes the computer decided to make.

"For many years, success in the business world has been attributed to intellectual horsepower, what we know as "Intelligence Quotient" (IQ), and to technical skills. Anything associated with emotions was dismissed as "soft" or "touchie-feelie" and was not given much credence in the workplace. Good "people skills" were generally valued as a "nice to have," not a "must have," and no one really defined what these were. Now, however, the softer side of business is being shown to have tremendous impact on "hard" results. It's not that IQ and technical skills don't matter — they do. But recent research shows that this softer side, now called "Emotional Intelligence" (EQ or El), is a real differentiator in success. A whole body of literature has sprung from it — there are now books,articles, TV shows, self-help manuals, seminars, classes,
etc. on emotional intelligence."
Let's start with a simple definition. Emotional intelligence is the intelligent use of emotions; you intentionally make your emotions work for you by using them to help guide your behavior and thinking in ways that enhance your results.
Applications of emotional intelligence in the workplace are almost infinite. Emotional intelligence is instrumental in resolving a sticky problem with a coworker, closing a deal with a difficult customer, giving feedback to your boss, staying on top of a task until it is completed, and in many other challenges affecting your success. Emotional intelligence is used both intrapersonally (helping yourself) and interpersonally (helping others).
Emotional intelligence has also been shown to be of paramount importance in leadership. Research reveals that the most effective leaders have a high degree of emotional intelligence. It's not that IQ and technical skills are irrelevant. They do matter, but mainly as "threshold capabilities"; that is, they are the entry-level requirements for leadership positions. Without EQ, a person can have the best training in the world, an incisive, analytical mind, and an endless supply of smart ideas, yet he or she still won't make a great leader.
Emotionally intelligent leaders have a significantly positive impact on organizations by creating a culture that engenders:
• Increased performance
• Better teamwork
• Improved motivation
• Enhanced innovation
• Effective use of time and resources
• Elevated trust

The result? Outstanding results and a sustained competitive advantage! In fact, examples of the impact of emotionally intelligent leaders include:
At a global soft drink company, divisional managers who scored high on emotional intelligence exceeded their annual operational targets by 15% - 20%, whereas those managers lacking in emotional intelligence underper-formed by 20%.
At a well known financial services company, financial advisers who were trained in emotional competence grew their client base by over 18% annually, compared to a 16% growth rate for those advisers not trained in emotional competence.
A major consumer products company began selecting sales agents based on emotional competence. Subsequently, the company experienced 63% less turnover and increased annual sales per agent of over $91,000 compared to agents who were selected according to traditional methods.
After supervisors at a manufacturing facility were trained in emotional competence, lost time accidents were reduced by 50%, formal grievances were reduced from 15 per year to 3 per year, and the plant exceeded productivity goals by $250,000. There was no increase in production from those people not trained.
To find out more about emotional intelligence, what your current level is, how you can enhance it, and how you can use it to make yourself and your organization more effective, please call Trish Kellett, WCI Organization Development Consultant, at 772-581-8463.

For what it's worth, here it is, it just jumped out at me and I had to send it to you! :wink:

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Whatever training some of the companies were using should be used in the schools, with students and teachers. I've also thought that EQ tests should be used for prospective teachers, training and hiring. Just like Rena said, "We hire people for what they know and fire people for who they are." (That's right, isn't it?) Maybe EQ training could help change that.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have definitely worked with teachers, and principals, that should have had the training. I have seen many students and my children- cry because of something a teacher said or did. My brother quit school at 16 because the principal of the junior high would call him in the office and search him because he thought Dwayne had cigarettes. Nevermind that Dwayne helped my uncle cook for a "pig pickin'". My other brother, a brain, quit school in 11th grade because the guidance counselor told him there was no way he had that many ear infections. Although he had a doctor note for all of them, AND had been taking classes at State and Duke since 6th grade. He obviously loved school! Out of the 3 of us I was the only one to graduate, (they both went back and earned a diploma at the community college). TEACHERS did this to them. One brother didn't like school- it restricted him to pen and paper when he is a "hands-on" kind of guy. The other loved school and it was taken away from him. He had a huge stack of requests from colleges and military. He could have done anything. Now he's scared to go back.
My mom loves me, but doesn't like many teachers. She'll tell the horror stories my brothers and cousins have had in a heartbeat. She loves to tell that Steve GRADUATED from Watauga and couldn't read on a 1st grade level! Now, where is the EQ testing for teachers and support staff?

Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]