View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Why We Fight 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This book really made me step back and look at America in a different light. I began to talk to my husband about some of the historical references in the book (I thought the boxing fight had to be made up – how could money be wasted on something like that), imagine my surprise when I found out it really happened. After the discussion, my husband finally convinced me to sit down and watch a documentary called Why We Fight. The America as portrayed in The Poisonwood Bible is the America described in this movie; yet, I had never been asked to look at America this way before. We need to open our eyes and see the world beyond our doorstep. Our society seems to be filled with too many Rachels. I recommend that everyone see this movie. I can’t wait to talk about this book.

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes, it did make me see America in a different light. We see the effects of greed anytime we turn on the television (through advertising), but I haven't been taught blatent examples like this in history.

It has also helped me realize how much we take for granted. I heard on NPR this morning that American families throw away an average of $600 worth of food each year. When cooking Thanksgiving dinner, I thought about Orleanna Price and her constant struggle to feed her family, as well as Leah's constant craving for protein.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I watched American Experience on PBS the other night do a documentary on Bobby Kennedy, and of course it mentioned his brother's efforts as President to overthrow Castro as ruler of Cuba. I think it's so ironic since he is one of our most respected leaders (JFK) and the fact that Castro outlived and outserved most of our Presidents. Now, he's dying, still in office at age 80.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]