View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Cave and A Free World 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The more time I spent thinking about whether or not we would go to the free world, the more concerned I was about people's reluctance to experience it. When we began talking about Plato's cave, I think I finally grasped what was really bothering me. I think of us all as the people in the dark. We watched the previously censored marionettes and are happy because we just don't know any better. We are experiencing what everyone before us has experiences and we just don't know what potential is out there.
Then, someone leaves the cave and is shocked and amazed by what is out there. When they return to tell us in the shadows about the free world, we shun them from our community because they sound like they are making it up. In reality, aren't they trying to help us? Aren't radical educators trying to help us? This world in the light is full of a rich education that allows you to make choices for yourself to learn what you need to learn in a comprehensive manner. You can see all the angles of a problem and arrive at a conclusion on your own. There is a phenomenal amount of freedom and with it come risks, but learning comes with risks. These "enlightened" people know the risks and have opened the door. Today, we live in a free world, and I choose to think it is just as dangerous as a hypothetical free world. Natural consequences will still exist.
In the current context, do we shun really educated people? I think that we do because as humans, we don't want to hear things that make us uncomfortable. As an educator, I want to try my best to live in the light and learn as much as I can and be accepting of others - but it is scary. Do you agree? Are we living in the dark?

Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think as humans, we are scared of the unknown. I think that we are afraid of change and of something that is different. It is obvious in our own culture that we are afraid of people that are different. In some ways I think that is why life was like it was before the civil rights movement happened. White people were supressing a race that was different, scary and unknowingly powerful. To comment to the question of whether or not we are scared of people who are educated- I definitely think I am. I am less prone to talk in a class where I think the teacher is very educated and something I say will be wrong and I will come out sounding really stupid. I know that is not the way classes are suppsed to make you feel, but I know we have all had classes where if you have an idea that is different from a professor's and they are educated in their point of view, we don't refute it. I don't want to make my students feel that their answers will be made fun of or just completely shot down. I want my students to think about their answers and explore possibilities, and when they are wrong I will lead them in another direction.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I’m not sure that I have ever completely surrendered to the idea that we are all in the dark as portrayed in “The Allegory of the Caveâ€

Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Change can be a terrifying thing if you are accustomed to a certain lifestyle. We get on a routine and don't want to try anything new for fear of changing the routine. Well educated people have been daring and explored many different views of a subject. I like to think I am not afraid of those more educated than me. I may sometimes say something that is not right, but I hope the more educated person is open minded and not judgemental. Some of the most intelligent professors I have had were also the most friendly and supportive of the students.
Now that I am in college I feel that I am not completely in the cave. I am more educated about the world and the many different people in it. I hope as I continue my education to come completely "outside" of the cave. This will make me a better teacher and more open to my students. I don't want to be afraid of what I don't know and I want those more educated to feel free to share their ideas. I have learned many things by just listening to the ideas and thoughts of others. As our society grows I think we will come more out of the cave.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When placed in the context of the time when the allegory was written I think we have to careful how we use the terms “educatorâ€

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]