View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Learning to Accept Others 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

During our discussion about "class" the other day we talked about understanding people from different classes and we all agreed that it is difficult to relate to people from completely different "classes." I found a really great quote that i think sums up how we should think about others who act negatively towards us (the upper class judging the lower classes and vice versa) and do things that we do not understand . This is from Booker T. Washington's Up from Slavery.

"In my earlly life I used to cherish a feeling of ill will toward any one who spoke in bitter terms against the Negro, or who advocated measures that tended to oppress the black man or take from him opportunities for growth in the most complete manner. Now, whenever I hear any one advocating measures that are meant to curtail the development of another, I pity him because I know that he is trying to stop the progress of the world, and because I know that in time the development and the ceaseless advance of humanity will make him ashamed of his weak and narrow position."

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is a very good quote and I find it very useful. It is very difficult for other classes to view and speak about each other. I think society needs to quit judging people on certain criteria and view the person as just a human being trying to make it in the world like every other human being.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's a good quote too, because instead of looking at those types of people with hatred, its talking about taking the "high road" and having compassion and even pity on them because of their ignorance. I know it is often hard to have that attitude, but in the long run, as this quote says, it will be worth it.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's a good quote too, because instead of looking at those types of people with hatred, its talking about taking the "high road" and having compassion and even pity on them because of their ignorance. I know it is often hard to have that attitude, but in the long run, as this quote says, it will be worth it.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is a great quote that says a lot about how we should act. It is really sad when someone cannot accept someone else for who they are. Some days I think that we are getting better and starting to realize how badly we treat people, and then other days I think we are getting worse when someone does something against someone because they are a different clique. Washington was right in that those people are stopping the world from progressing. How are to make big advancements in the world if we can't even get along with our neighbor? Education is important to break barriers and get others to see the similarities we have and not the differences.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this quote shows a lot about how the world should work. If we all looked to help each other out and better each other opposed from comparison and bringing each other down, the world would run much more smoothly...

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really think that quote is awesome!! I mean have ya'll ever been to a playground and saw little kids playing...they don't care what race the other kids are or how much money they have, ya know? But probably in ten years those kids will because of our society. I just wish our society would stop focusing on socioeconomic status and accept everyone for themselves, it really would run more smoothly.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a very interesting quote to use. It is perhaps more interesting that Washington’s programs in many ways resemble a sort of vocational track in themselves. He advocated hard work and production in order to achieve independence. I’m not making a quality judgment on it, but it is interesting that it is germane to two subjects.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:36 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really loved that quote. People who look negatively on other because of their class, race, religion, etc do so because of ignorance. As wealthy and seeminly educated as some of the people in the Social class video we watched were, they were ignorant to the lives of those in the working class. They assumed any one who didn't have money coming out of their ears was poor because they were stupid, lazy or delinquints. How many encounters did these people actually have with those from a lower class? Stereotypes and prejudices occur because of a lack of knowledge and experiences with the people those stereotypes are aimed at. That's why it is so important to truly realize the power we will have as educators. We can use our authority to educate our students. I might not be able to change the world, but maybe I can change something in the lives of my students.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]