View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Code Switching Ethics? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After our recent class discussion about code switching and ebonics, I wanted to pose a question to the group. Last year, in a students at-risk class I took, I was required to do several tasks including interviewing someone who worked with at-risk students. I chose to interview the assistant principal at my mom's school back in Greensboro. The woman was African American working in a pretty diverse school. While interviewing her, some of the things I picked up on was that she was a huge code switcher and she told me about it. She told me that when she called home she generally knew the area she was calling and would code switch to speak African American English. When I heard this, it struck me slightly wrong. I understand that she would not want to sound condescending to the parents, but is it ethical to make these assumptions and code switch before we know the situation? And if you think it is an okay idea to code switch, does it make us, as teachers, sound less professional if we code switch into a Southern or African American dialect or any other dialect?

Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is a good question. I know that at my sister's school that is extremely diverse, they call the parents and speak to them in Spanish if they cannot speak English well. Yet I feel that is a completely different issue. I do think this probably helps the Principal connect with the parents better, and possibily get more parental involvement. Yet I do wonder if that is ethical because it is like she is using this ability to in a way gain support by not being herself.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a question of making the parent seem more comfortable in a situation so that an understanding or information will be easier to accept. I think the principle is trying to express that she knows what level the parents she calls are coming from, instead of trying to sound like a “pushyâ€

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Robert. I think this could be helpful in making better connections with parents. If the parent feels like you're on their level, they would probably be more willing to talk to you and be more open. Although, I do understand that code-switching before you even truly know the family might be considered bad, but I would think that it is probably more helpful than harmful. In some cases, it might be offensive to parents if they can tell you're code-switching, but I would say most would prefer it.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is very important to keep parents comfortable while speaking to them. Also, it is very important that they understand what is being told to them. They might not be able to code switch like their children are being taught today and it is important that they understand.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like an implied part of this question deals with the assumption that Ebonics or a Southern dialect do not sound intelligent. What i mean is that there is still prejudice against these ways of speaking and that is why people code switch the way they do. I am completely guilty of it myself. When i am in Richmond County with my family and people i have known all my life i always have my thick accent, even if i am in an intellectual conversation, the people at home don't take me less seriously because of it. However when i am here in a school setting i feel like there is a lot of pressure to assimilate because otherwise people would assume that i was not "on the same level" as they were. Is it ethical to code switch with parents? Absolutely. But, if it isn't part of your natural vernacular you should never "put on" for parents, they will respect you more if you are yourself, not a fabrication of how you think they want you to be.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally think it is completely understandable to code switch, however doing so before you know the situation could be tricky, especially if you switch to an ethnic code and it is not required. This could be a potentially offensive situation. I think the best thing to do is to start off with a clear, professional tone and codeswitch if necessary.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think code switching as a teacher is totally necessary. You are not going to talk the same way to the parents of your students as you do the actual students. I talk to little children slower and in more simple terms so that they can understand. Parents do not want to be talked to by a teacher that way. It would probably make them feel intimidated or belittled by the teacher. We also must be careful how we speak to parents about their children. We do not want to only tell them the bad things about their children but call them when their child does something great in class! I think that is a very important thing for a teacher to learn. I think code switching is also necessary when interviewing for a job. I think when interviewing for a job you should use Standard American English as much as possible.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:15 pm
Site Admin

And, perhaps this principal is a native dialect speaker herself?

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]