View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Racism Today 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Currently I am a Resident Assistant in Doughton Hall. During freshmen move in this mother came up to me and was furious that her daughter was going to live with a black girl and wanted a room change immediately. My supervisor tried to talk some sense into this mother but she would not budge and eventually went to talk to the Director of Housing. The mother got her way and the daughter was moved to a different hall. How sad is this??? I wonder what the daughter thought. Did she want this or did the mother make her change rooms?
I believe it is so important for first year students to live in the residence halls. It puts different types of people together from different backgrounds and nationalities. Freshmen can learn so much from living in a residence hall with people who are different than they are. This girl who changed rooms just because of another girls race is going to miss out on a big life learning experience.
I'm sure if some of us are placed in a school that is not very diverse we might encounter this same type of problem. You may have a parent come up to you and demand that their child not work or be around another child.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow...I couldn't imagine being the daughter of that mother. I hate when people are so close minded, it really makes me mad. I grew up in a very racist county and I hated it. There were only about 10 black students in all of my high school and I was friends with them, but occasionally got mocked for talking to them. I also actually had a black roommate my freshmen year and I couldn't have asked for a better one. We learned so much from each other it really opened my eyes and showed me where she was coming from. I was the first white girl to become one of her best friends and the first white girl accepted in her family. I was truly blessed to have a great roommate like her. She taught me her point of view on things and really made me even more open minded. I can only hope that I will never be faced with an angry parent that demands their child not to be around a certain child...the harsh realization though is that I will probably will be faced with a problem like that.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It actually doesn't surprise me that a mother would request that room switch. I grew up in a very closed-minded area. I'm not sure how my mom would've reacted if this had happened to me. I don't think she would've requested a switch, but it wouldn't have been her preference. She is not completely close-minded, but she and many of my other family members sometimes think of other races as being inferior. I don't think they are bad people for thinking this, I honestly just think it's what their family and society has told them.
I feel by going to school with many different races and actually having a black roomate now, I am a lot more open-minded than my family. It makes me wonder that had my family spent more time around other races if they'd have a more open-minded opinion. It's just so sad how much division there is in society when we could really learn so much from people of all different backgrounds.

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What is really sad about this is that parents instill their values in their children. When this mother had her daughter switch rooms, she was using her daughter for her own agenda. It is so sad. In college you are supposed to be able to think for yourself and figure out your own values and thoughts, yet this mother still had control over her daughter's situation. Her daughter didn't even get a chance to experience something new that could have made her a better person. Parents can't shield their children forever. One day that woman's daughter is going to be out in the real world and will come in contact with many people who are not like her or who her mother would deem appropriate to hang out with.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe there is still racism today because of the sheltered lives many of us still live today. The lack of diversity in our lives also keeps us from making any progress. Just look at Appalachian State. We have very few minorities here. I believe our school has around 10% minorities while the rest are white/Caucasians. I'm not saying Appalachian is a racist school I'm just pointing out the lack of diversity. Being sheltered from the rest of the world will only make matters worse. We need to be exposed to different types of people in order for our country to take a step in the right direction.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post Sad
Sadly, this does not surprise me as so many of my classmates have already mentioned. I do agree that one of the most important aspects of freshmen life is experiencing friendships and interactions with people from different backgrounds and ethnicities. And the fact that the mother in question was allowed to switch her daughter in a different residence hall is very disturbing. However, I have heard from educators that most of the time parents, especially articulate, rich, white ones are usually allowed a request no matter how ridiculous. I think that mother should have been told that she could either keep her child where she was or take her out, but we are a money driven society and the university couldn't afford to lose one student or should I say, $7,000.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am from a very small town and a very Southern family. My family is set in its ways, yet changes to fit today's society. I can not say whether my mother would have switched my room if I was in the situation or not. I do think people need to be in diverse settings, but how diverse really depends on the person. It might have really caused problems for the two girls to live together depends on both their feelings are backgrounds. Some people need to be in diverse settings for only small periods of time until they get used to change.

I agree that there is still racism in today's society and it is up to the parents to teach their children values to change racism.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Elizabeth in that values are instilled into you by your parents and if you are not aware of what is TRULY right and wrong, you could be believing the wrong thing. Who's to know what is right and wrong? Well racism is wrong period. The fact that the girl's mom did not let her stay with an African-American student was bizarre. I truly hope this Caucasian student seen this wrong and if she didn't, I hope she is not going to become a teacher! My father was slightly racist, I mean you could tell he thought that was always good blacks and bad blacks. But I think he lacked the knowledge that there was good and bad of every race and everybody. But my dad was okay with me having black friends...I just could never date them. Personally, I would not want the attention from my racist community. I know I should fight for people who are wanting acceptance of biracial couples but I just personally wouldn't want that for myself. I am NOT racist...I just don't see myself taking all the criticism from people who are racist. Like Julia Stiles said in the movie, "Save the Last Dance"..."We spend too much time defending our relationship than actually having one." I truly respect those who do take everyday racism criticism. My cousin dates an African-American and I could not be happier for her. She does however live in Orlando, a place I see it more acceptable than rural North Carolina. I just believe that you should do whatever makes you happy.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]