View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 White Advantage 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

*I have much to say about this topic but my one handed typing will limit my thought expression*

In Peggy McIntosh's article, she makes an interesting observation that points out a definate difference between the disadvantages of one race versus the measurable advantages of another.

We are all accustommed to the teaching of race inequality in our nation's history, and as her article points out, this is usually from the perspective of institutionalized disadvantages that were deliberately imposed upon different groups of people, from Africans, immigrants and workers, to women, gays, and Asians.

What we often fail to address is this key question of world history. How is it that predominantly European, Caucasian peoples came to dominate and assimilate other nations, cultures, and equally advanced (in their own non-European way) societies? Our ethnocentric view of world history too often takes for granted this pattern of European domination and assumes that indigenous, non-European societies are inherently inferior.

There was a popular book entitled "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond that attempted to outline these ADVANTAGES that these conquering peoples had over other societies. Its broad survey limits its level of detailed analysis, but certain patterns immediately become evident. For example, the domestication of large mammals contributed to the early development of European society whereas the North American indigenous peoples hadn't the opportunity due to the extinction of the mammoth and the difficulty domesticating the buffalo.

We have come a long way in recognizing the injustice of the "White Man's Burden," but identifying the ways in which we deliberately limited the opportunities of minorities and ethnic peoples is very different from soberly analyzing the ways in which whties gained their particular opportunities. More research in this field is desperately needed.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"Our ethnocentric view of world history too often takes for granted this pattern of European domination and assumes that indigenous, non-European societies are inherently inferior. "
I definately agree with that statement. It seems like every time Europeans come and dominate a people group they try and change everything about it and "educate" the people. This is very frustrating for me. Who is to say what it is to be inferior? It would be just as easy for the indigenous people to say that the Europeans are inferior.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what Elizabeth said. It is very frustrating. Especially because there are so many other cultures that have such brilliant ideas and ways of life, but white americans seem to dominate society. We will have many diverse settings in the schools and I think it is important to go ahead and recognize and make an effort to incorporate other cultures and diversity into the classroom.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what all three of you guys have said. I think it is important for students to remember who they are where they come from. It would probably be extremely rare for a teacher to have an all white american classroom, therefore incorporating cultures and diversity into the classroom is extremely important!

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You know it is nice to be of a culture with priveleges but hey, at least I realize I am in a culture that is not without. Being apart of this culture is actually very shameful to me. I am the kind of person that likes to work hard for what they get. Caucasians in a sense are like kings and queens...everything is handed down to them. I am sick of this. Why can't all members of America receieve the same income? Why can't we all be convicted the same sentence when messing with the law, why can't we all be equal? It brightens my day to hear about people like Martin Luther King Jr...a man who fought for what his culture received. I hope to help make a difference someday but for those who are underprivleged, my biggest advice is to not settle. You deserve what I have.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"How is it that predominantly European, Caucasian peoples came to dominate and assimilate other nations, cultures, and equally advanced (in their own non-European way) societies?"

I completely agree with what Robbie is saying... how have we become the dominators of society? There are many groups that if not for us, would have flourished and quite possibly been placed in the same superior position as European Caucasians. There are many groups that have flourished, but are still under our thumb because somehow we have acquired this superiority.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]