View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Extremes 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was thinking about our discussion on Tuesday when I began to wonder about the extremes that Americans tend to operate in. We talked about the pressures placed on people, mainly women, to meet a certain, somewhat unattainable body type. From eating disorders to over dieting to exercising compulsively to harmful diet pills, people seem to be willing to take any and every option available to them to try to reach this goal. Ask the right sociologist and they will probably tell you that the media’s sexualized agenda affects almost every decision we make. We’re surrounded by it. It has a tremendous impact on many people’s perceptions of themselves and the people they want to be. And yet we are the fattest country in the world. Heart disease, diabetes, and other weight related impairments are becoming more and more common. And oddly, they are becoming more and more common among women. Which of these seemingly dichotomous truths is really true? Or is it that they are both true and we as a society tend to be spreading ourselves out toward extremes? Complete consumption or complete denial. Food is such a massive preoccupation in America. Either we toil over our eating decisions, or we treat food like our best friend. I guess there isn’t really a question or answer here, just an observation. And I gotsta get to posting. So here’s one.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

America is definitely a nation suffering from two extremes in regards to weight and diet. Starve or Stuff. The media plays a major role in painting the ideal person as skinny, fit and beautiful. I don't think the media will ever turn away from this skinny craze. Skinny will always be in. That's why it's more important than ever to teach children early on that health should be the number one concern in regards to diet and lifestyle. In class we also discussed the fact that women are so critical of each other they are only pushing this eating disorder epidemic even further. If a girl is skinny, she is anorexic. If a girl is fat, she is lazy. People do this because of insecurities they have about themselves. I really can't think of any resolution to this problem...

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]