View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 what do you think? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_KKLkmIrDk

hopefully you will be able to get to that link... if not type in Fox News and Black English

I know it has been awhile since we talked about language and dialects but they are obviously important to me and I just came across this video the other day. What do you think???

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know how I feel about that. From what we talked about it was fine that children speak how they were raised, unless they were in English class. This man wants to change everything about how you speak. It bothered me that every single person was an African American in his class. Doesn't everyone have a problem with speaking "proper"? Maybe that was a coincidence.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that video was really interesting. Like Alyse said I understood that it was okay for children to speak how they were raised, except when in an English class but I don't like how African Americans were targeted. I think if he is going to do something like that he should target all students, I think we could all benefit from a few extra grammar classes. I mean nobody speaks "properly."

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A family friend of ours was talking about how Black English is now a true language that has different rules for their grammar, therefore it is illegal to correct through speech therapists. Even though it is a language it will never be accepted in a professional setting, so I agree with what he is doing in the community. I also think that in a way he is teaching them to code switch because the students need to understand that in a professional setting their language is not accepted and that is a fact that they will have to deal with the rest of their lives, even though they could still talk in Black English with their family and friends.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:05 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I always have a tough time talking about dialects because I know that without my years of experience outside of my hometown and my family people would hear the way I spoke and immediately make assumptions about me. I'm terrible at grammar even today. It just isn't something that is really important to me; it is just a mask that I have been wearing for years. This whole clip rubs me the wrong way. A) I'm not a hugely concerned with the way students pronounce things as long as they spell them right (or close to it). B) The examples FOX news showed were all from what America would deem the lowest wrung of daytime television essentially a way to show that the people who speak like this are of a lower level as well. C) It's FOX news, the channel that can't refer to Ellen Degeneres or Rosie O’Donnell without pointing out that they are lesbians, or to Barrack Obama without mentioning that his middle name is Hussein, and most importantly a group that admits that they have fabricated quotes for news stories. (I know they do good reporting on many topics, but I personally am typically put off by how they present their reports and I just don't watch it. D) Finally, I just don't feel like their can be an incorrect way to express yourself and sometimes it seems that we are telling students that the way they talk is wrong, when really there isn't a wrong way.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am sure this teacher is "catching a lot of hell" over this. Umm, I don't know. I agree with him in the fact that if someone goes to an interview saying "ax" and "bafroom" they decrease their chance of being hired, sadly, because someone who speaks this way may very well be highly qualified. Many of us don't always speak "proper english", I don't. This goes with other dialects as well. I work with a few people who talk with a southern appalachian? dialect and I cannot understand what they are saying the majority of the time. So, should we all have to learn about the many different dialects or should standard english be stressed in school?

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not sure how I feel about this story. I wish people could speak anyway that they wanted to, but this is not how society works. There are moments where I say words that don't normally fit into the norm and I get funny stares. I say "yonder" which I know is not proper English but it is hard not to say it when I have heard it my entire life. I think we should teach children that it is not wrong how they speak, but they should also learn proper English.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]