View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Non-Segregated Prom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Here is a link to a news story about a school in Georgia that is now planning its first non segregated prom.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18034102/

It is crazy to think that 2007 will be the first prom for both white and black students at Turner County High. Brown v. Board happened in 1954. What do you think? Was it okay for white students and black students to plan individual proms for each race?

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's hard to believe this will be their first ever desegregated prom. I think that parents and school officials could have taken more initiative in combating segregated proms, regardless of whether they did not take place at the school. Since no one stepped in, this tradition continued. I think it's amazing to think that student's took it upon themselves to end this. Even if everyone of the students does not back this desegragated prom, it is great to know that after decades of tradition there are those students who see the wrong in their ways and are willing to combat racism themselves.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It amazes me how long it took this to happen. This article just proves that the south is still trying to hold onto the past. I took a history class called Post-Civil War South. One point made in the class was that no matter how hard the people in the south try to change and update their ways, in the end they are still having to prove they aren't racist. The sad truth is that there still are a lot of people out there who are racist and don't care if they offend anyone or not. I am glad to see that the students want to make a change. If some still want to have separate parties then maybe they could work out dances that aren't as big as the prom, like a winter formal or something.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]