View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Corporal Punishment 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just curious as to everyone's position on Corporal Punishment in our schools. At my internship the other day, I walked through the copy room and overheard the Asst. Principal saying she was about to go paddle a student. I really didn't think that paddling still happened in schools. I talked with the teacher I'm interning with and she expressed a need for Corporal Punishment in schools as a resort for disobedient children. She spoke of several times when students in her class would act up and completely disrespect her, and there was really nothing she could do. She said there was a definite need for some middle ground.

What is your position on paddling in schools? If you support it would you be willing to paddle a student?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Not without written, parental consent. :)

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definately think physical punishment is a horrible option. The only thing it teaches a student is that violence is a viable alternative. I would never use such punishment on my own kids nor my students.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't really think I would want to paddle a student. I feel like something needs to be done to get students who are acting out under control but paddling is going to teach them that it is ok to hit to gain control. At the same time if everything else has been done then it might be ok if the parents say it is. I think it just depends on the individual student and their parents.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have also always thought that physical punishment (especially in subtle forms of violence) has always been a bad idea. It seems like presenting physical pain as a means of behavior correction and other punishment puts the wrong idea in people’s heads. Physical punishment should be the last method used in correcting behavior where as these kids who are being paddled might now think that whenever someone misbehaves, they must be “hitâ€

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

dude Chelsie where is your internship? i was under the impression that it was banned nationally in public schools. whew. i really struggle to see the supportive arguments to beatings in schools or even outside them. the biggest argument is "my parents beat me and i turned out fine." but what people dont seem to understand is that they are lucky and in the minority to have been beaten and come out ok. it seems to me to be the same argument for the death penalty, but how do you teach people not to kill by killing the people who killed? what?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:05 pm
Site Admin

Nope, Sam. It is very common in our public schools.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm not sure where I stand with this argument. I was paddled and turned out fine (like Sam said), but, I can understand the other side of the argument as well. I agree with Angela, I think it depends on the individual person and the parents. I think that if parents want to use spanking as a means of discipline that is their prerogative. Would I be willing to paddle a student? I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable or not, as of right now, probably not.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that I could ever paddle a student! I am a strong believe that it isn't always the child who needs to make a behavior change. Sometimes, it is the teacher, or the environment. Students can't control everything...
To have your child not paddled, you have to sign a special release. The tiny paragraph about corporal punishment is found in a tiny paragraph in the middle of the parent handbook.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

An article was just in The Fayetteville Observer Times about this!! here's a link: http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=258633

I totally agree with lesley on this... adults are often too quick to blame the "behavior of the child". Paddling seems like a simple contribution to the problem rather than the solution, and to me is based on developmentally inappropriate expectations of the children we teach. Besides, the only one that paddling is making feel better is the adult. From a developmental perspective, concrete relationships between actions and consequences are necessary. In other words, the consequence has to have a logical relationship to the behavior in question. Corporal punishment takes away that relationship of cause and effect, and may even be viewed as a solution for the child when they are in a situation where they are displeased with another child or an adult. We need to be modeling more appropriate ways to handle conflict!
On another note, paddling and other forms or corporal punishment blur the lines of abuse and neglect. Children who have hitting modeled by people they trust are much less likely to report incidents of abuse. I hope that, if nothing else, the fear that we are supporting a cycle of violence will prevent us from working at any school where corporal punishment is still acceptable.

James.Meghan@gmail.com

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]