View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hillary Clinton 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Why do people dislike Hillary Clinton? When I talk to people about the 2008 Presidential election someone always brings her up and typically the reaction of everyone in the group is that they "don't like her." The people I have spoken with have been both democrats and republicans so it isn't a partisan decision. When I ask "Why?" I typically get a reason that is unsettling. It usually has nothing to do with her political record or her platform. Most people simply say that "There is just something about her," or that she stood by her husband when he cheated on her. Why does it matter, doesn't her standing beside her husband make her seem more loyal? Should a decision that she made in her personal life have a bearing on the public opinion of her? She could be our first female president, why doesn't this excite us? Why do people keep calling her a "bitch?"

It is not that I am saying that I am a huge Hillary fan but I am just really tired of people saying that they don't like her for any particular reason. I think it says something terrible about our society.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also think that many times people want to see a change in the White House, especially in the past couple of years. And yes, she would be a change compared to President Bush, but I wonder if people feel like it would be going back to having a Clinton in office. Not saying that there was anything wrong with Clinton in office, but I wonder if people are sick of having the presidency going from Bush to Clinton to Bush and then back to Clinton. People may just want a completely new face in office in order to see a change that the American people need. And not to mention she is a woman, so that is just a whole other argument!

Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's a good question, why people don't like Hillary. My mother, a stauch Democrat and fervent critic of GWB, cannot stand Hillary and claims that she will not vote for her if she gets the Democratic nomination. Why do so many people have this violent distaste for Hillary Clinton?

Well, one of the reasons you already pointed out. Bill and Hillary Clinton remained together throughout the Lewinski scandal, which outraged people across the nation. I guess they considered Hillary's decision to be a political move. Personally, I think that Hillary would have gained much more political clout for leaving him, but I guess America feels differently. I guess many Americans just don't consider it possible that the Clintons stayed together because they believed in their marriage.

Hillary has this stigma of being more politically minded than her male colleagues. People criticized her move into the Senate for NY. She was seen as the behind the scenes matriarch during the first Clinton term, and this was threatening to Americans. I think that people don't find her genuine or trustworthy, two qualities that I doubt we will find in ANY of our politicians running for the presidential office. Her efforts at reforming healthcare during Clinton's term were respectable but inevitably doomed without the help from Congress.

Oh yeah, and she's a liberal (and we can barely say that word outloud anymore).

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally do not like Hillary because when I was living in Buffalo, NY for 6 years she was our senator for a lot of that time and she did nothing for our district. If you know anything about Buffalo, it used to be a very prosperous area with tons of factories for steel, but it has changed significantly once the factories went out of business, leaving a ton of unemployed people. Most moved away. So Buffalonians are eager to get help to make their city better. Yet Hillary visited many times but never did anything for us. So she failed me as my senator so that is why I do not want to vote for her for President.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One of my friends is not really democrat or republican but she is unhappy with the government now. She said she didn't like Hillary Clinton and I asked her why. She told me it was because she was a woman. My friend did not know anything about Hillary's platform, what she stood for, anything. Her only reason for not like Hillary was she was a woman. She said she felt that a woman would not be able to fix the country any better than a man. I don't really understand that since we have never had a woman president before. Should the issue of Hillary being a woman be such a big deal in her run for the presidency ?

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the problem is that people make being a woman a handicap. Men and women both actually say that women would be "too emotional" to have such power in our government. As if PMS or her "emotions" would case Hilary to wage a war or completely change domestic policy? Do you agree or disagree that being an "emotional" individual would be a handicap to the presidency.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well, if emotionalism is going to be a detracting quality for a president, I guess it's fitting if I cite the example of our current president.

I mean, honestly, religious fanatacism in an age of incalculable destructive powers and world instability is not the best quality to have informing your executive decisions.

I'd rather have a president succomb to the impulses of a monthly hormonal surpluss than the apocalyptic conclusions of a premillenialist fanatic! Premillenialists interpret the book of Revelation so that the second coming of Christ will happen after the world descends into chaos and sin, at which time the thousand years of God's reign on earth will begin. Such reckless and dispensationalist beliefs are dangerous when they are held by someone as powerful as our President.

Yes, the sexism that Hillary faces is formidable, but there are plenty of other reasons (some of which I think are unreasonable) that Hillary is despised, even among those of her own party.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Without going into the sexism debate I think that being an overly emotional person can, and often does, make you more subjective than objective. Male or female, emotional responses to situations are often impulsive and, in retrospect, based on weak logic. I'm not saying that Hilary Clinton is overly emotional. I haven't met her. And I'm not saying she wouldn't make a good president. I don't know. I'm just responding to a narrow part of this. I personally think that emotions can cloud reason. They can in anyone.
I know that this isn't the real subject of the thread, but I wanted to respond to this part of it.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:37 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]