View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Weight gaining and smoking 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Lots of girls smoke to keep off their weight. They say that if they quit, they are afraid of gaining weight. Well let me tell you something. I know my mom did not care about her weight when it came to smoking. But my mom developed the lung disease of emphysema after smoking for thirty years. She quit and about five years later, she died. She weighed eighty pounds when she died. They may sound all nice for you girls that want to be sticks because you think that is "attractive." But my mom couldn't gain any weight. She had a hard time even swallowing food because she felt like it was blocking her airway for what little air she had left. So go ahead...keep smoking because you don't want to gain weight that you could work off. Grow old and possibly get a horrific disease that will keep you skinny...but lose your breath (something we take for granted). I'm sure people will think you are attractive with your oxygen tank beside you all the time! Sorry, I had to vent. I am not trying to be mean, I am just speaking the truth. I went through pain for so long. I cannot be angry with my mom. But for those who keep smoking just to look thin, it's not worth it. [/i]

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm really glad you shared that. I had a best friend in highschool who took up smoking for that very same reason. My boyfriend also smokes and I've been trying to convince him to quit. I think alot of people tend to think they are invincible and that those horrible things will never happen to them. I had an Aunt die of cancer this past January and my Uncle is a heavy drinker and smoker. It makes me so mad to think that my aunt died of a disease she had no control over and my uncle is carelessly threatening his own life and the life of my 9 year old cousin. Smoking to be thin makes me laugh, go to the gym or quite eating junk food if you care that much.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also appreciate you sharing because my grandfather also recently passed away from lung cancer because he smoked his entire life. I remember going to see him in the hospital and he was choking on his own flesh because it was so damaged from the years of smoking. That is the painful side that many people do not see, and many do not wish to see.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

These are great points. I just want to mention the even scarier connection between drugs such as cocaine being used not just as a recreational drug but as weight control. Models like Kate Moss who promote the waif physique also are also poster children for drug use. Check out this blog where (either accurately or out of context) exposes the rampant drug use of people in the fashion industry.

http://drugnewsvault.blogspot.com/2005/10/cocaine-catwalk.html

I just want to say that personally it is upsetting to think that all the little girls who want to grow up to be fashion models are unknowingly wanting to step into an industry where serious drug use is not just accepted but encouraged.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]