View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Holding Students Back 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am interning at an elementary school in Morganton with a kindergarten class. My teacher and I were discussing one student in particular who is an exceptional child. My teacher said that she has a little trouble keeping up, and is just a little bit slower than the rest of the children in the class. We also discussed how she has trouble focusing in class in order to get her work done. She is also a behavior problem, and my teacher feels that she isn't mature enough to go on to the first grade because of her behavior problems. Is is enough to hold a student back because of their behavior and maturity, or should we base our retention solely on their educational achievement and capability?

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that serious consideration should be taken before deciding to hold a child back. The parents should also be involved in the decision I think. All children do not mature at the same rate, and I am not sure that I would hold a student back because of that. I have had friends who have been held back and have never really gotten over it. From that time on they felt like they were not as good or that there was something wrong with them. Even at a very early age they realized that being held back made them different and they felt like they were not as good as the rest of the other kids. Those kinds of things can really mess up a child, so I think that if you hold a child back there should be very good reasons for it.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree that retention is something that needs time and thorough consideration. I guess the point that is interesting to me is that the teacher would mention to an intern this type of personal information. You possibly knew about the teachers concerns before the parents did. This is scary. Perhaps if you had some strong connection to the community and you were a different type of person; sharing this information with you may have been a huge mistake for the teacher. I believe that maturity should also be considered when looking at the possibility of retention. Another factor that goes along with maturity (in some cases) would be age there is great deal of diversity in the age of students within one particular grade. A student who just turned five may not be on the same plane as a student who is about to turn six. This early in life a year could make all the difference.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not sure what I would do in this situation. I am going to teach high school so it is based solely on their grades. If I were teaching younger students then I would have to look at all the points; grades, maturity, and maybe things that could be causing the child to have behavioral problems. I would not hold a student back based only on maturity though.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]