View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 A little off topic...teacher salaries. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Today in another class of mine we were talking about teacher salaries and what would happen if they were raised. I was just curious if you think the salaries that we will be paid are reasonable or if you think we are an under paid profession? Also if they were raised do you think that the quality of the teaching would also rise or fall? What are some of your thoughts on the salaries of teachers?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Of course I think teacher salaries should be raised! It is ridiculous what some professions get paid. The only profession that gets paid a lot that I think is somewhat reasonable is doctors. They help save our lives. But us - we are the backbone of childrens' futures. Especially elementary education teachers. I am not just saying that because that is my major. It's just that those first few years are critical. In kindergarten, you learn so much...how to read, how to build relationships, etc. Standards should always be set high for teachers, but I still think they should get paid more as of where they stand right now. They deserve it!

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It really depends if you have a Masters and/or are able to take the National Boards and pass. I think that it depends on each teacher if they are underpaid. I know that some teachers, after school ends, they jet out of the building with the students to return home and get away from the place. But there are teachers that are consumed with teaching that they don't leave the building until like 8 at night and then go home and check papers and grade things and then think about how they can improve their lessons or how to help a child understand better on something they didn't get the first time.

What I"m trying to say is that if you add up all the extra time that you spend outside of school hours working then yes we are definitely underpaid. Although a teacher's salary is enough to live on. Both my parents are teachers and we had no problems with money whatsoever. If you are looking for rich, this isn't the profession.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The NC teaching salary is near average in comparison to other states. But unfortunately it is still not always enough to support a family, and there are many teachers who have to get a second job to make enough income. I think that the starting salary in NC is around $27,000.
Many people will tell you that education is important, but the salary they pay the teachers doesn't reflect that ideal. When you look at the amount a CEO or President of a big time company makes, it is astoundingly more than what a teacher makes, yet many would say that the teacher actually has the more important job. Teachers are training the next generation, the next CEO and President of companies, the next world leaders. They have a huge level of influence and a very important task before them and deserve the same level of respect that the big corporate people get, if not more. I think that this country needs to start putting it's money where it's mouth is when it comes to education. If we say it is so important, then lets show it by raising teacher's salaries and putting more money into the schools.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Have you all ever checked out that database in the library of the ASU faculty salaries? It's all open to the public domain. Interesting stuff...

You can see how much that jackass teaching your intro geography class makes per semester to google facts and waste your time!

..I wonder how much Dr. Turner makes. (she's no jackass, mind you) :)

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definately think that teachers are underpaid considering the importance of our job. We are the ones that educate the future CEO's of companies making millions of dollars every year. I also think that a good teacher should want to teach no matter how little or much they are being paid.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Brooke because obviously teaching is an important job, but I also think that it is under appreciated as well. Being underpaid and under appreciated, could take a toll on someone's spirits. Through all of that though, if you still want to get up and see your students everyday so they can learn something new, then that is what you are meant to do. If the pay was raised I think more people consider it, but that would take the passion and excitement out of the profession because people would just be doing it for a job. Granted there are a lot of those teachers out there now, but you always can point out the ones that truly care to be there for their students each and every day.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Teachers should be paid more. Education should receive more funding. There should not being any starving people in America. These are all things that we really care about. (Hopefully) What are we doing to better our situation? All of us are ready to voice our opinions about our own importance in society. Oddly enough it is the CEO's who spend the money to elect the men who care about their agendas. As teachers we can't afford to give our money to groups who want to better our situation. This seems like a vicious cycle. What can we do to ensure that we are protecting our interests? Let's all vote. Not just in presidential elections, but state and local ones that really count. If teachers became a powerful interest group then we would be able to raise teacher pay, increase funding for education and help to alleviate the problem of poverty in America. VOTE.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

good point amanda. the problem is that even when we vote we are voting for the people who believe in democracy (capitalism) more than anyone else. Politicians are obsessed with rags to riches stories and usually pride themselves in that respect. The problem? they believe in survival of the fittest and early elimination as a natural part of the functionability of capitalism. We as college students have survived the test of the struggle of a public education and now in some way deserve more than those who didnt. hmm. of course teachers get paid to little and schools are underfunded but that is the way our government wants them. good luck.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think, along with most other people, that teachers are underpaid and underappreciated. I feel like this deters a lot of people from the profession that would be quite talented at it... especially males. Look around the education classrooms, it is mostly women!
However, I think the lower salary is important in some ways. I think if teachers were being paid large sums that some people would enter education for the money. Educators do what they do because of their desire to change the world, not their bank account balance.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely think teachers are underpaid. When I tell some people i'm going to be a teacher, they look down on me and say "well, I hope you don't plan on having a really nice house or car." Even though I may not have these things as a teacher, I still think no matter how much money I make or don't make, it will still be the most satisfying job I could have because I'm making a difference in the lives of children.
If the pay was raised substantially, some people might just teach for the money at first;however, I think they wouldn't stay in it long if they weren't doing it because they truly have a passion for teaching. Hopefully, in this case, the quaility of teachers would not go down because only the dedicated teachers,who really care about their students, would be able to stick with teaching.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Lesley, I agree with you that the lower wages allows many to enter the profession for the right reasons, but it prevents schools from hiring the most qualified. A lot of teachers, sadly enough, use teaching as a cushion if their other career didn't work out.

Sam, as usual, you and I share a lot of the same views. However, I wouldn't say that most of our politicians believe in that type of social Darwinism. Back during the guilded age it was a popular sentiment, but nowadays the last thing that politicians and corporate lobbyists want is survival of the fittest. Corporate welfare far exceeds social welfare, and government has become an accessory to corporate interests.

How can the working class compete with this kind of relationship? Well, my answer is to vote extremist. Vote during primaries (if you can stand either party). Vote independent, even if you waste your vote. Extremist opinions have the ability to subtely change the moderate pov (the rule of averages, I guess). Democracy does not have to be synonymous with capitalism.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]