View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Imus Incident 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ok, I am sure all of you have heard about the situation between Don Imus and the Rutgers Female Basketball team. And if you didn't, here is a link:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/1 ... index.html

This situation has brought up a slew of issues connected to race, some of which we touched upon in the past. My two biggest concerns with this situation are that one: the linked article was posted under the "Entertainment" section of CNN's website and 2: People have been defending what Imus' said by using the argument that African-Americans made those terms a part of our culture and that a double-standered exists in that African Americans can get away with saying those words and whites can't.

What do you think? Related or not.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that Imus should have said what he did. Even if those terms are used in the African-American community, I have never heard them used in a nice way. Also if they have been used to be nice, Imus doesn't personally know these girls and should not say something like that. I don't understand where he got the idea that it would be ok for to use those terms. Why would this be in entertainment, it is not really entertaining? The whole incident is sad.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Imus is very wrong for a comment like that, would you call a mainly white female basketball team "tater eating skanks" or something along those lines and expect it to be ok, I think if a coach or a team mate used this term in a joking way it might be ok, but not on a public show...idiot.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I more than agree that Imus made a dumb comment. What is most interesting to me about the whole situation is that Rusch Limbaugh says things equally as offensive at least 5 times a week. Why don't we hop all over him for calling Barrack Obama the "Magic Negro?" I was offended by what he said and I don't have to watch/listen to him. I think he took away the glory from the Rutgers team and now they can't even be happy or proud that they played in the National Championship. That is probably what pisses me off the most is that the girls worked so hard to be great basketball players and now Imus takes their thunder away from them.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

after Don Imus received his initial two week suspension from his show something crazy happened: corporate america took a stand! strange, i know. all kinds of companies pulled their sponsorships from his show, leaving cbs with really no other option than to fire him. what a relief to see the amazing power of enormous corporations used in a socially responsible way.
Don Imus has always been a racist. several years ago when a white house correspondent didnt come on his show because she was very busy he said "i cant believe that they let the cleaning lady cover the white house." he has also called people jigaboos and crazy stuff like that. it is a little surprising that he lasted this long.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]