View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Children with Diabetes 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My boyfriend's mom is a teacher and has a child with diabetes in her classroom. She told me how difficult it is to have this child in her class because she constantly has to monitor this child's blood sugar or else he will pass out. The reason she has so much reponsibility for this child is because the school only has a nurse come in once a week. As a future teacher, the idea of having a child's life in my hands while trying to teach the other children scares me. How would you guys feel about this situation and what could you do to balance your time teaching the material and making sure this child is okay?

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

my mother, who is a teacher, has had the same problem. She usually kept the child in the front of the class and I think it was every 2 hours she asked if the child had had anything to eat or something like that. Always keep spare peanut butter crackers around. As they get older they become more comfortable in remembering and taking care of themselves. Just bare in mind what you should do if something does happen

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Being in charge of 20 or more students' academic career is almost scary enough to me. But to be in charge of a child with diabetes? That would be very scary. I would as a teacher, get very informed about the topic of diabetes. Alyse's point of the crackers up front at all times is very true. I passed out when I was a kid at a hospital and the first thing they gave me was crackers and applejuice. They then asked me if I had diabetes. (I don't) But I would also get the class informed too so that they know why he/she is receiving special attention. It really helps to have assistants at the younger ages, I feel for those who are without.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am going to be teaching high school level so I think the student would know more about taking care of themselves, yet at the same time I would still try to look out for them in my class. I would allow them to bring in a small snack so that nothing bad would happen. I would also allow others to bring in a small snack only if it didn't disturb the other people around them. I am sure eventually it would get to a point where I couldn't take it so I would keep some crackers in my desk.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My best friend is diabetic and going to school with her never seemed like a big deal. She was responsible about it. The teacher spoke with her several times a day and was aware of what the signs of low blood sugar looked like. Being informed is the best way to be and I also feel that good parent communication is good. As I parent, I would rather be called with a concern than have something happen to my child.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree Leslie, I don't think it would be that big of a deal. As a teacher, it would take a few minutes of research to be able to recognize warning signs and what to do if something happened. Communication with students and parents always helps too.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my last internship, there was one student who had diabetes and he abused it many times in order to get out of class. There was a weekly meeting about this student at least once a week because he was never in class. He was on a strict plan, but his mother did not hold him to stick with it and so he felt that he could just go to the office whenever he felt bad. The teachers became very frustrated with it because he would lie to get out of class and they could not force him to stay because his mother didn't make him and his plan allowed him to go to the office whenever he felt to get a coke. It was crazy how much he wasn't in class in just the five weeks that I was there. I maybe saw him throughout a whole class maybe 5 or 6 times; so with his case it got to be ridiculous and was very abused.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

what if they moved the coke stash (hehe) to the classroom instead of the front office? I have friends who learned how to take advantage of their adhd and stuff like that. it usually came back to kick them in their hineys because at recess we would talk about something that they had missed in class and eventually they started hanging out so they wouldnt miss anything. maybe if the class did something super awesome once or twice when the child left he would be more inclined to stay. i know that is kind of messed up to plan to do something cool as soon as he leaves but it would be a great way to combat his obvious boredom.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]