View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Transgender 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am wondering what everyone thought of the video we watched, The Transgender Revolution? I knew that transgender people were persecuted but I never realized that it was that much. I think something should be done to help the situation and make all people equal but I am unsure as to what the best thing for the government to do would be. What does everyone think would be the best thing to do?

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Transgenders are persecuted a lot. It's still a new revolution. No one ever came out about it. I never heard about transgenders until college. People just need to have an open mind and just realize that they are people too. Why do people think that all "different" people cannot handle a job or care for children? It made me so angry that the radio guy on the "Transgender Revolution" video said that Nancy was a guy that was just confused. Like I said, people need to be a little more open minded.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That video was shocking to me. I really never knew what transgender meant and had never even thought about this group of people being so persecuted. Honestly, I can't relate to this culture at all. I was completely horrified that people would want to have surgery to change their sex. Although I do not understand this, I feel it is important to not persecute them. We are all never going to understand each other because there are so many different types of people in the world. Tolerance is so important.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found the video very depressing and shocking. Why are we so stuck on everybody being the "same"? I think it took someone like me to become a teacher in order to feel such respect for all kinds of people. No teacher ever taught me much about race, gay, transgenders. We could clearly see that transgenders too, can do the same things we can. I was shocked to hear about the paramedics leaving the transgender on the street after finding out that she wasn't really a woman. I can see why some transgenders feel that a sex change is for the best. As far as helping the transgender culture out, I definately think that the councils of the government should have transgenders in them so everything would not be so biased. That goes with every kind of culture. When it comes to making decisions for a certain culture, that council should contain members of that culture.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Since we discussed the topic of transgender and transexuality, I caught a news interview on Larry King Live at the gym the other night... This is an article about the interview, which I thought you might be interested in. I copied and pasted it, but the link is also available if you want to check it out on the website....Just wondering what you think.

April 14. 2007 6:50AM

Fired transsexual city manager says he won't sue Largo

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS

LARGO, Fla. -- A city manager fired after revealing his sex change plans announced Friday that he will not sue the city that fired him and he will begin living as a woman full-time by the end of May.

Steve Stanton, 48, also said during the taped segment on CNN's "Larry King Live," that he will be living as Susan within the next 30 to 60 days. Stanton also said he and his wife will separate.

Stanton had previously said taking Largo to court would be like "suing my mother," but the city of 76,000 west of Tampa had expected him to sue.

"I don't think that you go on Larry King to announce you're not going to sue the city," Largo City Attorney Alan Zimmet had said.

The National Center for Lesbian Rights said in a press release that Stanton has decided to focus on education and public advocacy on behalf of the transgender community instead of filing a lawsuit.

"It is tempting to seek retribution in the courts, but after much reflection and soul searching, I just cannot find it within my heart to sue Largo _ a city I have always and will always love. I do not want to punish the citizens of Largo," Stanton said in the statement.

The decision not to sue was a "incredibly difficult," Stanton said, also calling the decision to fire him "shocking and cruel, and clearly unlawful."

He told Larry King that he had chosen the name Susan because his mother said that would have been his name had he been a girl. He also said he plans to have gender reassignment surgery but did not say when and that he would probably continue living in Florida.

The former Largo City Manager appeared on the segment with his lawyer, Karen Doering, of the National Center for Lesbian Rights.

After the City Commission voted to fire him in February and March, Stanton has been recruited to join a national fight for transsexual employment rights.

City commissioners said it was Stanton's judgment, not the revelation he was a transsexual, that prompted both 5-2 votes to fire him from the $140,000-a-year job he held for 14 years. Stanton was forced in February to reveal he was a transsexual and planned to begin living as a woman in preparation for a sex change operation.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs. ... 03&start=1

James.Meghan@gmail.com

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

so let me get this straight...if you are a transgender it automatically makes you a horrible worker at a job that you had for 14 years. Ok...geez it's still the same person, how would Steve turning into Susan affect her being a great worker? And did Susan's wife leave her because of her decsion to become a woman?

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hate that people assume that others who chose to live their lives differently at less valuable than others. The transgender video was very interesting to me and definitely new information. I never realized the extent to which they were left out of society, but I am not surprised. I know a professor who is transgender M-F. She has had a rough transition. People don't take her class because of the way that she is. Also, some of the graduate students who work with her can't look at her straight in the eye. I think the thinks that aren't said, are sometimes worse than the things that are. How would you feel if your colleague couldn't make eye contact with you?

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this story and Leslie's reflection are both really indicative of the way gender permeates everything in our lives. You know, when we had the discussion in class about "the moment you realized you were a boy or a girl"? This moment is difficult, if not impossible to pinpoint. Yet, despite the obscurity of the actual moment of gender identity realization, we are subconsciously programmed to view gender in everything we do. Why would it be difficult to look someone in the eye because of their gender? Because we rely so heavily on the way we respond to people based on the gender of that individual. Of course, when I say "we", I mean society as a whole, and people such as employers who want to make case to fire someone because of their inability to fit neatly into a "male" or "female" box are just a fantastic example of that.

James.Meghan@gmail.com

Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]