View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 A Hope in the Unseen 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have heard some people say about the book A Hope In The Unseen that it wasnt Cedric Jennings' own hard work that got him to where he was, it was luck and special treatment. What do you think? Do you think it was his own hard work or the help of others? Or a combination?

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ummmm, the book sort of portrays that we as teachers must strive to help students as well (Jennings case) as students helping themselves. It's sort of like the idea that motivation comes solely from the help of others.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This book reminds me of a Hallmark Channel movie. I think Cedric got where he is today for a combination of efforts. He is obviously intelligent and has the intellectual ability to master the content; that was challenging learning material.
However, I think that he also got a lot of lucky breaks. Affirmative Action is on his side. Programs like MITES are set up for children with his set of circumstances. Without these programs, and other similar ones, I don't know if Cedric would have made it.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think I would call it individual appropriateness, a term which seems unique to developmental early childhood philosophy. And if everyone were getting fair and equal treatment there would be no need for "special treatment" just so that they can make it. If I were struggling in school I wouldn't have to have "special treatment" to succeed, simply because those luxuries have been provided to me and are easily accessible. I think in order for all of us to make it as far as we have, we have had some measure of lucky breaks and opportunities, some earned and some not. Just some food for thought. Anyone agree or disagree with this viewpoint??

James.Meghan@gmail.com

Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Definately meg. i cant think of much of anything i have done solely on my own. every piece of art and literature is pieces borrowed from other places. We are a communal people and even as we try to close the cycle and become self sustainable we eventually come to the realization that we need each other. of course cedric got lucky. but of course i got lucky to be born into the family i was and so on. it would be stupid of him to not take advantage of the slices of luck that were passed his way.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]