View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 History Lessons 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Teaching history can be very subjective sometimes and the teacher can pick from different facts and decide what to teach. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Helen Keller were brought up in class as people who the history of is often edited and most students never hear the full story. I plan to teach elementary school and will have history lessons to teach. I believe that students have the right to know any information about historical figures that they want to, and should be given unbiased, unaltered answers. This way students can see how these people are not perfect and went to great lengths to accomplish what they did. I plan to teach what is required in the curriculum and help students want to learn beyond what is required of them. Sharing interesting facts about a person, or taking a field trip may help spark a students interest. History is such a broad topic that I would never be able to tell my students everything, so I will need to narrow down topics but encourage individual exploration. I will also answer any questions as best as I can, making sure they know what facts are out there and how others interpret history.

How would you teach history? Would you tell the full story of people, or just the facts that made that person famous?

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just posted something on the Rosa Parks thread that would have been so much more appropriate in this one. I wish I'd read this first.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am going to teach history in high school and would love to have everything in people's lives included but the truth is that there is a limited amount of time and certain things, that because of end of grade testing, has to be covered. I do want to include things in lessons I teach that are going to be interesting that may have nothing to do with why a person is famous. I think if it is interesting and gets a student to want to know more about history, then why not include it?

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know this sounds silly but I kind of love it when a myth is dispelled for me. It makes me much more apt to question the things that I have "already" learned, and the things that I am learning. To be honest, I think its like a special secret passed down with age: at first you get the sugar glazed version and then when you are old enough (just like alcohol) then you are ready for the hardcore stuff.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]