View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Affirmative Action 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Today in class it was brought up that Cedric Jennings was accepted to Brown on the basis of affirmative action. This is a sensitive topic to some people, but I wanted to get everyones thoughts on it. Personally I am torn on the issue. I believe that diversity is important in any circumstance, but is the university not an institution that accepts students based on merit? Should our universities accept a student of less merit over another because of the color of their skin just for diversity's sake?

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"Affirmative Action" is an issue I have struggled with as well. Dr. Joseph Lowery (friend of Martin Luther King Jr., member of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and Civil Rights leader) really put it in perspective for me. He said that "We only are trying to fix the problem as blatantly as the problem was started." I think that affirmative action is good and can be beneficial until everyone has the same opportunities. After this is achieved and everyone has the same chances to succeed then we can be truly "color blind." Anyone who thinks that being "color blind" is the best policy (for America today) may not understand that almost 200 hundred years of damage can not be corrected overnight. Oppression has affected the education available to minorities and until we can work out equal education we can not say that everyone has the same opportunities.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

affirmative action is simply a reaction to several hundred terrible actions. it makes so much sense as a long term way to try to level the playing field. short term it sucks for everyone involved, especially the people who get hired on merit and knows that people assume they were hired or got into the school for aff. action. A better way to fix the problem might be to throw a lot of money towards schools and communities that have been forgotten and left to fend for themselves. but who knows

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]