View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 THE WIRE 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I mentioned this one time in our class discussions, but I wanted to post something about it since A Hope in the Unseen is also reflective of the issues students encounter in inner city schools today. "The Wire" is a show on HBO that I would encourage you all to watch if you have the opportunity. You can rent previous seasons or buy them. I feel like this show teaches you so much about the complexity of crime, violence, poverty, racial disparity, and how children and an education is interwoven in this dance somehow. I've included a couple of links, please read about it... it is so smart and so pertinent to our future and the future of the children we teach. Interestingly, the writer of this show is a former cop-turned schoolteacher... his perspective is a rare one, and one I think we can benefit from!

'The Wire' shines harsh spotlight on failures of inner-city schools
By ALEJANDRO DANOIS, For The Associated Press
http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2006 ... 466c85.txt

Schools Are a Crime on 'The Wire'
By Kate O'Hare
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-thewi ... -headlines

James.Meghan@gmail.com

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i watched the first four episodes of season one and was intrigued by the children side of the story but bored to death by the disgruntled cop part. I will have to give it another shot. I never made it as far as going inside the classroom, and that would be fascinating. all the movies about teaching in the inner city make me so stoked to teach. A recent excellent one is "Half Nelson" and i strongly recommend it.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]