View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Health Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There have been many posts this semester related to health education, sex, drugs, violence, nutrition, etc. Buncombe County Schools, starting this fall (I believe) will require 1 full year of health education (not health&PE). NC requires 1 semester. Being a health major, I believe health may very well be the most important subject. Health is the only subject that can save someone's life. I hear a lot of students talk about their health class and they take it as a joke. I think a lot of it has to do with PE teachers not being qualified enough to teach health. Also, many of these teachers don't take it serious enough, therefore, neither do their students. I was wondering what you all thought about the requirements for health in NC? Is it just right? Or should health be required 1, 2 years? Personally, I think it could be broken down into separate classes, such as Consumer Health, Family Life/Sexuality, Drug/Violence Educ. (just an idea). This way, health teachers could be separate from PE teachers and the teachers will be more qualified. I would love to hear what you guys think (you too Dr. Turner).

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that health should be required for more than just the one semester. I agree with what Will said, health is the most important class a student can take. If a student doesn't take a decent amount of health classes then how are they expected to lead healthy lives?

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

well done Buncombe Co. I hope that this isnt seen as another semester of joking around and hearing horror stories from cancer survivors. I think your ideas of breaking the classes down into more focused areas of study are great. At Broughton High in Raleigh they had a class called PASS that was focused on all types of interesting helpful things. They meditated every day, learned yoga techniques, nutrition, the importance of sleep, emotional health... they did it all. The teacher, a family friend, is now pursuing his doctorate in this area of study in Idaho, the only school in the country who has this area of study. The class sounded excellent and everyone loved it and learned a whole lot. I think our schools might be a lot more peaceful if there were several more programs like this.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]