View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Bully sounds weird when you say it a bunch. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I remember watching a special on bullying and the effects it had on those subject to it. The whole thing was tied into school violence and the fact that sometimes bullying of an emotionally unstable person can lead to violence like that of Columbine or Virginia Tech. It’s easy to see how those connections are drawn and that’s not really my point, so I won’t go into that part of the discussion. One of the things that was interesting though, was the common attitude that bullying is just a right of passage that people go through it and deal with it and are fine. But if you imagine the type of bullying that goes on in the K-12 arena going on in the college or professional world it would be a legal matter. It would be entirely unacceptable. Imagine going to work tomorrow and having to dread someone or a group of people throwing you in a trash can or throwing food on you or something. I’m not suggesting that elementary school kids should be arrested or anything like that, but it seems like it should be treated reasonably seriously.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

matt that surely is a new perspective. do you think we ever fully escape emotional bullying, from bosses or higher ups that really get a kick out of creating a little suffering. That would have been really intense if when Dr. Turner left the class the other day, the bully of the class would have had free reign to destroy someone's good day by dumping them into the trashcan. it does seem outrageous to people at this age. i guess if we are to hold children's well being in high regard we have to take this stuff more seriously.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]