View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 too controversial 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i did a presentation in my literacy, technology, and instruction class on a fox news segment in which one of the fox news correspondents put himself through a process called "waterboarding" this is a technique used at Guantanamo Bay where drowning is simulated to get prisoners to confess to things or drop names. Dick Cheney said that its use was "a no brainer" and this is how we got KSM to admit to plotting 9/11.

anyway, no one in the class, including the teacher, had heard anything of this and it lead to a very informative lesson. It was part of a "Media Deconstruction" lesson. when i got my grade the teacher had written that this was too controversial for high schoolers. i was kind of baffled when i read this. why? it was a news segment. it was no conspiracy theory, it was on fox news. part of the curriculum for english in high school is something like staying up to date and being able to be an active member of the community. i felt like it was a great lesson. anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely don't think that it is too controversial for high schoolers. I think that is something that would get them excited and interested in the news because so many young people don't understand what is happening in our world, and that is part of it. I feel that if it is covered by the news, then they have a right to see it and understand what they are discussing. I wish that I could've been in your class to see the clip, it sounds interesting.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think it's too controversial either. Like Mandy said, if it's on the news, I don't see why they shouldn't watch it. Kids need to know important information of what's going on in the world, and most of it IS going to be controversial.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]