View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Such thing as too much obidience? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agreed to a large extent with this essay, although it seems a bit ironic that I would say that I agree with it, since its basis is questioning everything we are faced with in order to avoid becoming "agentic." I agree that a mode of self-betterment is making sure that you are being a rational thinker and that you avoid becoming robotic. My only problem with the theories of McCarthy was her suggestion that a modified Milgram experiment be used in schools to make sure that children are not becoming too obedient -- that is to say to prevent them from becoming followers. I am all for free thinkers, but kids need authority. They need role models. That includes the possibilty for bad role models to exist even, in order to observe them and learn from their mistakes. I think that a more "rational" way of encouraging free thinking is to make sure that teachers incorporate rationalization excersises into their units/curriculum/what have you. (example, a unit on advertising). We certainly don't want a child joining up with an extremist group, but they also need some structure and authority.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what you have said about the importance of role models as well as encouraging free thinking. Our students need to see that even the "teacher" can make a mistake or two. If students can see that leaders are just as normal as they are, then maybe they will learn to decide and make decisions on their own. McCarthy hits on the fact that everyone likes to have the answers given to them. I know that I would like to have the answers to my problems given to me. It takes effort and time to look for your own answers. When I teacher tells you that something is one way, its easier to believe and go along with that, rather than think about the possiblity of another way. Stepping out of the norm is not easy. It is our job as teachers to make stepping out of the box normal. McCarthy says, "We have all gotten the message that it is dangerous and requires exceptional courage to be different." We need to be looking for ways to express and teach the importance of this exceptional courage. How can we teach our students that it is not dangerous to be different?

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:38 pm
Site Admin

Hmm. Think about it. It IS dangerous to be different, and to act differently. My question is, How do we teach children that the world we create when we do this is worth the risk?

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

History is full of examples of people who dared to be different. They are usually the only people who "make" history. The risk they take might not seem "worth it" in their lifetimes- they may be killed, die in poverty, etc., but the world is a better place later because of them. Children should be taught to value what is right, regardless of outcome. If that means going against the flow, students will be better equipped for the situation if they decide how they will handle it before it is staring them in the face.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Leah is exactly right, history is made up of people who dared to dream big. But one must remember with history that it is not only the BIG people that make every difference. History happens everyday and that aspect should not be overlooked when instructing students. Who knows, maybe one of those students that we might instruct could one day make a huge difference in the world.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]