View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Is Obedience an emotional disturbance? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The way McCarthy compared obedience to emotional distrubances created a realm of ideas and thoughts in my mind. When you look at something like obedience in another light it creates a span of different thoughts. I think it is important to be able to look at this problem in terms of requiring therapy to fix it. McCarthy also mentioned, "the first major step toward a reversal of pathology is recognition of the severity of the problem." Just like any other mental disturbance, your not going to be able to fix the problem until your well aware of it. I think it is going to take articles like this one to help spread the word that this is a problem. Many people as well as educators are not aware of this issue, which means nothing will be changing in their classrooms or practices.

I really liked the statement that McCarthy makes by saying, "If we are to gain control of our lives and minds, we must first acknowledge the degree to which we are not now in control." I think this could lead to the open and rational mind that we all need to have.

"We must become skilled in activating our inner resources toward rebellion and disobedience, when this seems reasonable."

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

McCarthy's article also made me really look at what I consider obedience. I never thought of disobedience as being obedience. I found it really interesting to read all of the example / experiments where this topic was being analyze. It made me wonder what I would do if I was put into that position. Then in the mentioned experiments the children were the only ones who rebelled. If education is what is supposed to stop humans from doing these things, how come the less educated are the only ones who seem to be educate? It seems that the older we get and the more education we have the more likely we are to follow the norm. But when we are young and naive we seem to know when follow the norm has gone to far.
"Education of the public is the only answer."

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:20 am

from reading what you both have said i wonder as well whether to follow or lead is not obedience in the end. when we lead we still generally follow law which can be seen as control and when we dont follow the law are we not still obediant to what we want in the end.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]