View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Tasing on Campus 

Should University Police be able to use tasers?
Yes 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
No 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
Neutral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Tasing on Campus 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Tasing has been a huge topic going around on campus especially since the article about how ASU University Police are going to be going through training to be able to use tasers if the appropriate situation were to arise. I thought this was an appropriate discussion topic because it is about our own school environment changing. I do not think that tasers are necessary, but I was curious to see what other people thought about this.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really don't know alot about this but I would like to ask come officers if they have really had that many incidents where they wish they had a taser. At an RA meeting one officer said that the benefit of a taser is not having to use a gun but I feel like using the extra force of electricity is going to increase over time. What was once delt with fine by a few officers using physical strength is going to lead to some students getting really hurt. The way the taser work is they shoot barbs at you that stick into your skin and then electricity is passed through. I hate electricity, even static, so the thought really creeps me out. I know that if you are acting like a total jerk you deserve to be roughed around a little but this is kind of animalistic. We aren't in the streets of Detroit...

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Tasers animalistic and beating people up isn’t? and, Diane, it sounds like you have a bias against the street of Detroit. The streets of Detroit could be beautiful and majestic…unless you’ve actually been there in which case I would say im just playin devils advocate. Anywho, I think tasers would be sweet. I only say that because im an ra and I wish they would instruct us in taser usage. I remember in the beginning of the year I would point to the key box and tell residents that they contained the Ra tasers (they believed me for the first 3-4 months school). I think being trained in a less lethal form of protection and control would be a positive thing. People may be deterred from doing certain things because they know that the police have tasers. The police might not actually have to use them; it could just be the thought of some laser beam yielding enforcer of the law that could discourage illegal behavior.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I think tasers are a good idea when used in the right situations. I mean, there are times I could think of that an RA or a cop might need a taser. Sometimes people are so trashed on campus and in the dorms that they are uncontrollable. What if the RA or the cop is in danger? I think it would be a good idea as long as it was used only when absolutely necessary. Now how do we ensure that? I have no clue! I think it would make people think twice before doing some of the stupid stuff they do.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I dont think tasers belong on this campus. Boone isnt really a high crime community and most the time it seems like crime is dealt with after a crime has already been committed.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really do not think that tasers should be used on campus. Like Katie said, this is not a high crime area. I can't imagine the campus police pulling a gun out anywhere around here either. I guess I am just biased because my exboyfriend is a police officer and thought it would be funny to pull out a taser and chase me around with it (he would never do anything) but he would turn it on and freak me out. I also think i am just an optimistic person, I can not imagine crime here that would require a taser.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:56 pm
All-star
All-star

I am really against the use ot tasers on campus. I feel that it would be difficult in certain situations for someone to be able to distinguish in a split second whether it was absolutely necessary to use them against an attacker. I think for a university campus, the defense that our campus police has right now should be sufficient. I'd love it if there was a mandatory self-defense elective, so people could learn how to use their body and their surroundings to properly protect themselves.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

First of all, though Boone might not be a high crime area, what steps are we taking to prevent it from becoming one? I have lived in Boone my entire life, and it is apalling to think of the rate it has changed. It could change for the worst just as quickly. Most of the change is due to the college, and I think it is extremely important to keep a safe grip on security in the primary force behind the town. If tasers will keep this place from becoming more dangerous in the future, then I am all for it. Besides, I think we all agree that they probably wont get used that much anyway. But if we need them in the future, aren't they still better than guns? We can't just deal with crime after it comes along; we have to at least try to prevent it from happening at all. I say we prepare ourselves now for changes that are likely to come. The world is a dangerous place.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think tasers should be allowed on campus at all. My really good friend up here recently got a job as a parol officer in boone. The very first day she was on the job they tasered her so she would know what it felt like. She described it as the most painful experience and three months later still has a huge scare on her back because the PO who tasered her had hit her spine. I think it's a very dangerous approach because many times it is not done properly. When i visit my friend at work and she carries one with her it just makes me nervous and i don't feel like students on campus need to be nervous in thier learning enviroment

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have always had a problem with making schools seem like a high-crime area. Especially if they are located in a high-crime area, entering that atmosphere simply reinforces that idea. I think that the metal detectors in schools do the same thing. Shouldn't schools have that little "safe place" sign out front?

In terms of recourse officers carrying tasers, they could be a better alternative to a gun. In low-crime areas, these aren't even needed but I would think that a shock is a little less severe than getting shot. However, I don't know the lengths to which a recourse officer is actually allowed to shoot a student, but tasers aren't long distance?

I guess what I am trying to say is that if a taser is used correctly, maybe it is a good idea. There are advantages and disadvantages to every weapon, so the school board needs to seriously examine these before adopting them.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]