View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Children: Fantasy vs. Truth 
All-star
All-star

Is it better to let children live in a world of fantasy or to introduce them to the truth that is life? I could not get this question out of my head, and spent the entire walk home thinking hard about it. I came to the conclusion that, to a certain extent, we should allow children to know the truth. The next question I then had was, how should it be introduced, at what age are children ready to know, and to what extent should it be told? I believe that if we take these factors into consideration, especially with each individual child, that it is possible to expose them to the truth without being detrimental to their fantasy world.

Sometimes the truth is the best way to teach our children, as long as it is said in the correct manner for the age and maturity level of the child. I’m not saying we should always tell the truth in details, there are many things that can be left out but it is still the truth. I think children want to know the truth, to a certain extent, and I think it makes them a stronger and more understanding person.

These are my thoughts… I just wanted to get them out there. I know a lot of this is simply a repeat of what we talked about in class, but I would love to hear other people’s thoughts on this subject, especially the ones that we didn’t hear in class, both the supporting and opposing positions. I have been giving this matter a lot of thought and would like to know what I will do when I am the teacher in the situation of choosing between telling my students a fantasy story or the truth, and to what extent, if I should choose to tell the truth, should it be told?!?

:roll:

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This makes me think about what Dustin was saying in class about his dad dressing up as Santa for x-mas. Yes, children think they want to know the truth but i feel many times when they are given the truth they are greatly disappointed. As dustin was saying, he knew that the suit looked unrealistic but becuase he wanted so badly to believe he saw a magical santa in front of him. I think children allow themselves to know the truth when they are ready and it is not our place to limit thier imaginations at such a young age.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I was in Kindergarten, I asked my teacher if Santa Clause was real. She told me that he was, and also told our class on another occasion that super-man was real as well. I remember thinking that she must not be a very intelligent person because I knew that neither of these heroes were actual people. I even asked my mom to write the teacher a note telling her that they were not real so that she wouldn't lie to anymore children! My point is, I think if a child ever asked me whether so and so was real or not, I would direct them to their parents rather than answering the question myself. Obviously, some students in the class still believed in Santa, but it was confusing for children like me, who did not.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have had a really hard time with this question. I feel like we should let children be young, not make them grow up too soon. I also feel that there is a certain extent to which we need to let them grow up. My aunt used to censor the Lion King for my cousin because the part where Scar killed Mufasa was "scary." This is the sort of mentality my aunt took throughout her childhood. I love my family, but my cousin, when I compare her to her peers is very immature. I think that there has to be a balance between letting them be children and letting them grow up. I know that I haven't come to a conclusive arguement, but I believe there are points to both sides of this issue.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]