View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Lesson Plans 
All-star
All-star

Ok, so I got this idea today in class while we were doing group discussions. Adam (I think that's his name), a music education major, was in our group and asked a great question. He asked how the activity used in the article by Bill Bigelow could be incorporated into a music curriculum. Together our group came up with a few good idea's. I was thinking... although we are all education majors, most of us are specializing in different areas, making our classroom ideas and views diversified. I thought it would be fun, informal, and useful to begin a strand, in which we could embrase that diversity through individual lesson plans or lesson plan ideas that could possibly be used in our individual subject area. I don't know if this will catch on, but if it does we would all benefit from having extra lesson plan idea's for our future classrooms. I think it would be especially great having lesson plans for subjects that are not necissarily our thing, because we could use them to make our classrooms more diversified as well. If anyone is interested in this idea please respond with an idea. :lol:

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:32 am
Site Admin

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that's a great idea.....I'm just trying to think of a convient way for it to happen...sorry for taking so long to respond :D

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think its a great idea as well -- I will be thinking of some lesson plan ideas to post sometime later on .... -- It would be nice to have some creative ideas for our first year ... -- maybe make us a little more prepared :)

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:46 pm
All-star
All-star

This Lesson Plan could be changed to fit the curriculum of grades 2-4

Subject:
Math and Economics

Objectives:
-Recognize and generate equivalent forms of commonly used fractions, decimals, and percents
-Learn or review amounts of money and how to use
-Get a general idea of how to balance a check book
-Learn or review how to add and subtract decimals

Materials:
-Pretend money, both bills and change
-Worksheets that look like a check book balancing sheet
-Many small items (Ex) pencils, erasers, toy rings, bouncy balls, etc.

Process:
This is actually a game, and could get pricey, it would be sort of hard to do without the proper funds, but could always be changed to fit the schools funds

1) Everyone gets a certain amount in bills and change (Ex) 10 dollars in ones, fives, and change for two dollars. The students can go to the "bank" to change out money.

2) The classroom is set up so that there are different stations (desks), which are the stores and such. Each store sells something different and one of the stations is the bank.

3) The students fill out a form of five or ten things they would like to buy after seeing everything there is, this is called their "wish list."

4) The students go from station to station buying what they want. Each time they buy something they must write it down in their "check book" and subtract the amount they just spent from the amount they had.

5) After everyone has bought what they wanted (there are no returns) they will get point awarded to them.
10 points for every item they have that was on their list
5 points for every item that they bought that was not on their list
# points for amount of money they had left over

The winner gets to keep everything... and maybe all the other students get to choose one thing they bought to keep.

*This teaches them how to subtract decimals by doing so in their check books
*This teaches them how to add decimals by adding the points they have left from the money they have left
*This would teach younger children how much change it takes and of what type to make a dollar and such
*This would teach older children (something you might want to take out of the game for younger children) how to balance a check book, or at least give them an idea

Other Classwork:
- It would be useful to have an activity directly following this one in which the students figured out how much each coin is in terms of fractions within a dollar. They could also do this for amounts more than a coin (Ex) .37 in fraction form. Useful for fourth grade.

Homework:
-Younger Grades: Worksheet asking questions such as:
1) How many quarters are in a dollar?
2) How many nickles, dimes, and pennies are in $1.35?
3) How many pennis are in two nickles and a dime?
4) How many quarters and dimes are in .35 cents?
5) If you have three nickles, two dimes, and one penny, how much more money would you need to have fifty cents? What cooins would you use?

-Older Grades: Worksheet asking questions dealing with fractions, such as the ones discussed in the class activity.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:09 am
All-star
All-star

This is a lesson plan I wrote last semester for Drama

Subject: Drama, culture, ceremonies, re-enactment, improvisation

Grade Level: 4th grade

Objectives:
To learn about ceremonies and their meanings
To work together in small group scenarios
To touch on improvisation with direction
To learn about diverse cultures
To transfer learning to real life: concept of inclusion of diversity

North Carolina Theatre Standards:
COMPETENCY GOAL 3: The learner will design and produce theatre by conceptualizing and realizing artistic interpretations for informal or formal productions. (National Standard 3)
Objectives:
3.01 Participate in making artistic choices in a small group.

COMPETENCY GOAL 4: The learner will direct through planning and presenting informal or formal productions. (National Standard 4)
Objectives:
4.02 Demonstrate responsible behavior such as sharing, flexibility, negotiating, and teamwork.
4.05 Compromise with peers in small group decision-making about artistic choices.
4.10 Use rehearsal time effectively to brainstorm, experiment, plan, and rehearse.
4.11 Recognize diversity within a group contributes to interesting artistic choices.

COMPETENCY GOAL 6: The learner will compare and integrate art forms by analyzing traditional theatre, dance, music, visual arts, and new art forms. (National Standard 6)
Objectives:
6.01 Incorporate music, sound, movement, dance, and design into the dramatic process.
6.02 Incorporate the art forms of puppetry, pantomime, and mask making into simple dramas.
6.04 Observe that different art forms reflect upon the diversity within heritage and culture.

COMPETENCY GOAL 7: The learner will analyze critique and construct meaning from informal and formal theatre, film, television, and electronic media productions.
Objectives:
7.03 Justify artistic choices.

Materials:
Music and a music player
“Drawings of peopleâ€

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]