View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 are your parents teachers? 

Are your parents teachers?
Yes, atleast one of my parents 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Neither 80%  80%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 15

are your parents teachers? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is just out of pure curiosity. Neither of my parents are teachers, and they really tried to push me into other fields when i was deciding on my major. I was just wondering what everyones experience was with their parents and/or guardians. Did they supported your decision or were they against it?

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My parents always encouraged me to do what I enjoy. They both supported my decision to go into education. My mom is not a paid teacher, but she's homeschooled her children for thirteen years now.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have had full support from my parents as well. My mother did teach a radiology school for several years but that had nothing to do with my choice to become a teacher. They supported me equally before i changed my major.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:24 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My mom is a preschool teacher and has really inspired me to choose a major that deals with teaching. My parents have always been very supportive of my choices. I find it interesting that many of our parents are teachers in some way or another and feel that parents have a large influence on choices that we as adults make.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:12 am
All-star
All-star

Neither of my parents are teachers. I find it interesting as well that many education majors have parents that are teachers. That is encouraging, it tells me that they must hear positive things to make them want to do what their parents have done. My parents were supportive of my decision to teach. My family was a little put out because I came in Pre-Med and they thought I was going to be some rich doctor....plans changed:) But generally I feel support from my family who cares. I think they just want me to be happy.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My mom was a teacher until she got put into an innercity school situation that was bad. She walked into a classroom that was dirty and had cochroches, infact she actually got a knife held to her throat by an older brother who wanted money. My mom being the sensitive sweet woman she is, was like I think I'm done with teaching... :) She still tells me stories to this day of the most rewarding aspects of her job back then and even still has wallet size pictures of every child she ever had in her class...she considered them all her children.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Neither of my parents are teachers and my dad did try to influence me into a field that would pay well at first. He is supportive of me though in being a teacher now. (Now it is just trying to push me to go for my master.)

Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

haha thats funny because my parents did the same to me. THey didnt really support teaching because they didnt feel it could support me (not enough money). Eventually, they found out i was not changing my major so they changed their arguement. They can accept teaching but ill have to go get a masters or doctorate for it to happen. why cant being a teacher be good enough? i dont understand why educators are undervalued in our society, it just dont make no dang sense!

Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Neither of my parents are teachers. They encouraged me to do what made me happy and not to let money be a factor. I have never felt like money was that important anyway. The only negative thing that I heard from my family was right before I came to school here. I had been considering going to Purdue and becoming a chemical engineer but I decided that I wouldnt be happy there and told everyone that teaching chemistry would be far more rewarding to me. My grandfather apparently made some comment to my mom along the lines of "teaching? I thought Diana was going to do something really big with her life and be an engineer?" I was of course furious because for one, how is being an engineer making a name for myself unless I like invent something new, AND how is being a teacher not important?? Teaching is something I have thought of doing since I was in elementary school and I still can't think of another career that would suit me better.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

EVERYONE is my family is or was a teacher. It would really be easier for me to list the individuals in my family who did not become teachers; and that would be my mother and my little brother who has yet to decide on a permanent occupation. Everyone else is or has been or soon will be a teacher. I think it just runs in my blood to teach; it is something I have always been around and respected, and I guess it just came softly to me to follow the trend.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The shocking thing is that nobody in my entire family is a teacher. And that is shocking because my mom had 5 brothers and sisters and my dad had 10. Then each of those had about two kids. But like everyone else has said my encourages me to do whatever I want as long as I am happy.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

No one in my family is a teacher. Well my cousin is in school to do early age education and she will graduate this May. My family is heart surgeon, asesthiologist, computer programer, architect, nurse practitioner or in the service. Most of these are high money making professions whereas teaching is not. My parents support my decision of teaching but I think they believe that I will not be able to live on a teacher's salary and will be burdened by money. Guess I will just have to marry a doctor!! haha

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

No one in my family is a teacher -- My mother works for the school system -- Manager of the middle school cafe back home -- So I did see her everyday when I was in 7th and 8th grade but she wasn't a teacher. -- I have always thought about becoming a teacher and my parents support me 110% -- They just wanted me to do choose whatever would make me happy and teaching is it.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My parents have always supported my choice to be an educator. My mother teaches kindergarten so i have a fair amount of support from her. My father has given me less support, mainly because he doubts if I will stay with it, but as long as I continue to give him good reports he is happy for me.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i want to go back to something a couple other students focused on before: that teaching wasnt considered a good career choice because it didnt pay enough. while our parents may have been trying to protect us by making sure that we are financially secure (this is the generation that dealt with being brought up by those who went through the Depression), they seem to be perpetuating the fact that our society values success by money. dinero. bling bling. so while teaching may be noble and awwwww sweet and wow you have a lot of patience and courage, in the back of many's minds, it is not as highly valued as a doctor, lawyer, engineer, politician, scientist, whathaveyou.

funny thing, my parents said the same thing about grad/doctorate school. maybe they are just supporting us, but maybe they are also not supporting mediocrity.

i love my parents!! :D

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:04 pm
All-star
All-star

When I was little, I wanted to work at one of two places: either NASA or the CIA. I was a little bit obsessed with the idea that there are things only the government knows and I wanted to be one of the people who got to know about those things.

I grew out of that and now I just research conspiracy theories

:shock: 8) :!:

Since middle school, I've only been able to see myself in one of two other "careers." The first is teaching, the second is being a rock star.

Lesson: A good way to appease parents' concerns about your ability to make a living as a teacher is to present it as something you'll always be able to "fall back on" just in case your delusions of grandeur fail to materialize.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My mother, sister, and brother (was) are teachers. I feel so lucky to have had the experience of being surrounded by them growing up, I was exposed to the real life of teachers and learned the realities of the job....and i still love it! This has also allowed me to get lots of experience in the classroom, which i feel so gratefull for, I wish more of our education was spent in the classrooms!

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm like you Jim, neither of my parents are teachers. In fact, nobody in my near family has ever been a teacher. My parents also have tried to steer me in directions away from teaching. They have a tendency to concentrate so much on the money aspect, but I can understand where they are coming from. But overall, they have supported me in what I have decided to do.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:08 pm
All-star
All-star

neither of my parents were teachers, but my grandmother was, and my aunt is now. my parents have encouraged me to do whatever I want in life, regardless of the profession or salary. I think my dad was a little surprised when I told him I wanted to become a teacher, but he was supportive nonetheless. Unfortunately, I am slowly realizing that I may not want to teach right out of college.... I haven't done any of my student teaching, so hopefully that will change my mind and help me realize what I really want to do in life. Regardless, I have enjoyed getting my degree in education, and whatever I end up doing, I hope to use many of the principles I have learned towards a successful career in... something! :wink:

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]