View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 class video 

Have you ever felt uncomfortable in your learning environment
yes 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
no 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
sometimes 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

class video 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i was just reflecting on the video we watched in class on thursday. It was a huge eye opener to me to see how Jo felt as she attented Groton ( i think that was the school) and how she felt so out of place. Being a white female i have never felt misplaced as Jo had while attending school. This video made me realize that as teachers it's very important for us to understand that all our students might not feel welcome in the classroom. I found this article on the internet that provides ways to help latino's such as Jo feel welcome and supported during thier educational experiences.

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/pages/933

This article gave me plenty of great ideas on how to help students from different backgrounds feel more comfortable in the learning enviroment

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jo's story was really interesting to me, I have only felt like she did once. In high school I was a part of the Peace Journey's Conference in Charlotte which is an organization directed at breaking down discrimination. I was one of three white kids out of perhaps 50 people and there was only one other white girl. It was a really unique experience - the first time that I have ever been "the white girl" but I loved it. Some white people I know would have been really nervous the whole time about coming across as racist or something and so wouldnt have been honest but I didnt worry about that. I wanted to be honest with my feelings because the point of the conference was to get to know more about the other people. I shared what it was like to be white and what my own pressures and obstacles are because at the same time as I dont understand being black, those other students had no idea what it was like to be me. It was an invaluable experience because my knowledge and empathy were improved greatly.

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought Jo's story was interesting too. I have never felt, or even thought about feeling out of place among my peers; at least not the way she did. I have always been in the majority, but all through the video I was trying to imagine what it would be like if I were, like Diana was, one of only a few white people surrounded by many people of another race. I think it would be difficult to find an identity. Like Jo said, she was stuck somewhere between where she came from and where she was now and couldn't really and completely fit in at either place.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I was younger I went to an inner city school. I was one of 4 or 5 white kids in my entire grade. Since I was so young I never noticed a difference until I got older and everyone started to tell me I was the only white girl in my class. I think everyone is going to feel isolated at some point in their life. Therefore, I think that it is very important that teachers and parents do whatever they can to help a child feel welcomed. I know that every year in my Elementary school we would have grandparents day. Your did assignments that dealt with your grandparents and they got to come in and eat lunch with you. But I never had any grandparents so I always felt left out. My teachers would let me use other family memebers or neighbors that were older to complete the assignment. And my one was allowed to come eat with me.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:13 am
All-star
All-star

I had a similar experience to Charlene. I also went to an inner-city school where I was the ONLY white girl in my class for about 3 years. It was an eye-opening experience for me, because I went to a mostly white pre-school, and had by the age of 5, really didn't have a whole lot of experience with other races (that I can remember). However, I think this was a great experience in the sense that I grew up at a young age not looking much into color. I think as I grew older, my innocense in this area was inevitably lost, but I still built a good foundation of equality at a young age.

However, in that elementary school, I felt singled out a lot of the time. Maybe it was because I had such strong support at home, or because I pushed myself to be a strong student, but I always had to be the "helper" and help my peers when they were struggling with out class material. (perhaps that's where my passion to become a teacher stemmed....) Most of the time it's flattering when a student is acknowledged for their good work, but it happened so frequently that I feel it got in the way of my interactions with my peers. Some of them just looked at me as another teacher, and not as another kind in the class.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can relate to those who said that they have been in the majority always in school. I went to private Catholic school (Kindergarten to 12th grade) where there was little if hardly any diversity in my school. I also grew up in a small town outside of the city of Raleigh, so my perception of the world was very different from those who are able to have the experience of being on the other side and be the minority. I am an open minded person, but I definitely was worried about what it was going to be like coming to ASU, which isn't as diverse as some campus probably are, but I was going to be exposed to an environment that was out of my comfort zone. I have tried to do many things to step out of my shell and I think it is important to try things that are going to make you feel uncomfortable because it helps you to grow and have more empathy for others.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]