View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 dialects 

i am still unsure of what exactly a dialect is but i know when i write i change how i would say things gramatically. that is what i was taught to do in every class i have ever taken and i would assume that some others in class have had to do the same...for me i was never good at writing in good english but taking a foreign language helped a lot...so i recomend that if a student is having trouble to i guess break down standard english for them into very basic part like when you start a new language.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah I definitely agree. When you learn a foreign language you are starting from ground zero and typically you learn it straight from one source (i.e. a book/tape or teacher). English you learned not just from teachers but everyone around you (mostly your parents). There are many different "dialects" in America but in almost all areas the english we speak is so drastically warped from the "correct" way to speak that I think that is why it is so difficult to for people to write.

Of course it doesn't help that English grammar makes almost no sense. There are so many exceptions to rules. I'm pretty sure that is also one of the problems with grammar being a problem for so many students.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wanted to expand on a little bit about what Jay said. At least for higher level thinkers, learning a second lanugage is quite benifcial to understanding lanugague in general. Take English and Spanish for an example. By examining similiarities and differences between the two lanugages (ex, way words are formed, cognates, and grammatical structures), it is possible to gain more insight into your first language.

On the English grammar point, I cannot stand it as well. Yes, everything has loopholes and it is definately hard to convince kids that grammar is important. Does anyone have an idea how to answer that question?

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe children can learn "proper Enlish and grammer" without having to change the way they speak. Growing up my mom would correct me all the time as to the "proper" way to say things but I would never use it unless I was speaking to my mom. I still don't use "proper English" in everyday terms, but when I took Comp and Grammer in highschool, that nagging my mom did really helped. Although I did not use proper English while speaking, when I had to take tests on the proper way a sentence should be structured or write papers using "proper English" I knew how. I don't believe students should be expected to speak "proper English" everyday or be penalized for not being able to, but correcting them during English class and explaining why the correction is grammatically correct when writing would be useful later in life, even if only in a Comp and Grammer class.

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]