View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Raising Teacher Salaries 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found this article on newsandobserver.com today

http://www.newsobserver.com/146/story/555251.html

Its basically about how legislators are trying to raise teacher salaries for only math and science teachers in North Carolina. I was wondering how everyone else felt about this.

I personally think its a bad idea (sounds biased because I'm not a math or science major). I really agree with that last statement in the article, "I'm not sure that any amount of money is going to be enough to truly solve the staffing problems in high-needs schools." I don't think raising the salaries is going to produce a considerable number of more qualified teachers.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Although I am going to be a math teacher -- and love the idea of some money -- I agree with Scott -- I don't feel like raising the pay for just some subjects is going to make an impact on the high-needs schools. Great qualified teachers teach because they want to, not because of the pay. I don't believe this is going to slove any problems.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this is a very interesting subject to discuss. I really don’t know how I feel about receiving more money. I believe if teachers were offered more money than the field would definitely be much more competitive. I think the extra money would attract many more future educators to the field; however, are they the kind of people we want? Do schools need teachers who are there for the money? I don’t think money for each teacher is the answer. I think one solution could be for school boards to take that extra money that would have gone to each individual teacher and use it for the purpose of making teaching less stressful and difficult. They could try hiring assistants, implementing dual teacher classrooms; buy more supplies so teachers could use many different methods to help their diverse students learn and so on. This is mentioned in the article and I completely agree with it. Passionate teachers don’t need more money to help them stay committed, I think they could just use an extra hand every once in a while.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that teachers who truley love teaching will teach whether there is or is not a pay increase. Jim however, made a very good point. If pay were increased there would be more competition and if there were more competition, it makes sense to me that the more qualied teachers would get the job and there would be more of a selection to choose from. Although I understand that they want to make this pay raise for math and science teachers only because of the shortage, I believe it should be made across the board. If there were a pay increase there would be more qualified teachers and therefore more competition, therefore the best or most qualified teachers would get positions. I make this statement remembering my nineth grade science teacher, who did not want to be teaching, taught by having us read the chapters in class and do the workbook for homework each night, and had no degree or teaching background, she was teaching simply because the school was short on teachers and she needed a job.

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what Jim said about how teachers could use extra help and supplies more than the raise. I feel like teachers should be paid more personally, but if schools were to give more assistants and more money towards supplies to use in the classroom I would not have to worry about using my own money for things. As a future elementary school teacher there is a very minimal amount of money that is given to fund things for the classroom and there is a lot of things that are needed. Even if the money was not going directly into my salary it would be nice to have better funds for supplies and even to be able to have field trips, etc.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i feel that raising only certain teachers salaries isn't fair at all. I feel that teachers from all ranges of subjects put in equal effort with thier planning and time and one subject should not be rewarded over another.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The way i see it is that they will raise certain teacher salaries and then have to have more money to fund this endeavor. So then they will probably raise some sort of tax that costs the teachers without the raise more money and brings the math/science teachers back to where they started. I mean, i don't know if this is what would happen but sounds like a possibility to me.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that by raising only math and science teacher's salaries, then it is going to make subjects like history, health, foreign language, tech, etc. suffer immensely because people are going to want to go for the subject that makes more money. We can all say we don't do it for the money, and that's probably true, but be honest, money talks and most people wouldn't turn it down.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]