View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 "They need to learn to speak 'American'!" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just recently a few girls in one of my teaching classes were talking about the rise in Hispanic students in the US and our area in particular. They talked about hispanics as "THEY" and said that they don't think it's neccesary for teachers to learn spanish, that if "they" come here they should learn English. Hearing these close minded and ugly comments coming from the mouths of future teachers made me sick, do you all think that is too much to ask to learn a little spanish to help our future students and families out in their transition as immigrants?!?!

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree that people should have to learn some Spanish. I don't think that it necessarily has to become a second language to all teachers but I do think it is important. Learning a language takes a lot of time and it is not fair for these future educators to expect hispanic students to learn English in a few weeks. I believe being able to speak some of the students native language can help the transition between cultures.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If a child's parents decide to move to America, it is not the kid's fault that he or she doesn't speak English! I think we should help them transition as easily as possible, and if that means taking the time to learn some Spanish, then so be it. I am sure children like that have a hard enough time coming to a new country without having teachers expecting them to learn English instantly. Think about how hard it would be to transition to a new country. I know I would greatly appreciate a teacher speaking English to me if I was forced to move to Mexico!

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that it must be hard to come to a new country and learn a new language, however I do not believe all teachers should have to learn any Spanish. English is America's official language and making teachers learn anything else is not American. Other waves of immigrants came to our country and managed by learning the language. Not to mention, if all the teachers go out and learn Spanish for the wave of Mexican immigrants, what happens if the new wave becomes Chinese, should they then be made to learn Chinese. I think it is a good thing to know Spanish, but I don't think it should be a requirement. What if a teacher learns Spanish and then gets an immigrant from France in their class? Spanish would do no good.

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree about learning spanish -- I have heard that English is one of the hardest languagues to learn -- I am sure many spanish-speaking students have extreme difficulties while learning english -- Teachers knowing some spanish would allow them to communicate with those particular students easier and their families -- This is key for students to learn -- A few years ago I met a lady whose daughter was in the 2nd grade -- Her daughter attended an expiermental school where english was spoken approx 40% of the time and spanish was spoken approx 60% of the time. -- (The family spoke english) She explained that the school board from where ever she was from was trying this out to let english speaking kids learn spanish as just more than spanish class -- they hear english when they are at home --- I thought it was a really neat idea and she said her daughter loved it -- The reason she enrolled her daughter was to give her a more complex life -- If I had the opportunity to put my children in something like this I would --

Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thats horrible. I say learn some Spanish, make life a little more comfortable for your Spanish speaking students who are existing in an English setting. I hate when people say mean things about people not learning English when coming to America.

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am currently in an enternship at forest Hill Elementary School. I am in a Kindergarten class where there are four hispanics. NONE of them could speak english when they entered into Kindergarten. Now, everyone of them can speak english and understand english. I was so amazed when I found this information out from the teacher. What I think is so special about these wonderful children is that their families value education very much. The teacher was telling me how one dad will come in and ask the teacher how to pronounce words that are on his daughters homework. These four children are far ahead of their own parents in English. I am already so attached to every one of these kids. These kids are a great example of why education is so important. These four children has even taught some of their spanish to their fellow classmates. This class blows me away. ALL of the children are in a community together and they really show respect for everyone. THIS IS KINDERGARTEN!

Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:57 pm
All-star
All-star

I definately think teachers should learn some spanish. America is one of the only places I have been where people only know one language. Most European countries know at least two if not three languages. This makes if more comfortable for American's to move or travel to these countries. Why would we make it more difficult for spanish speaking students? Why not learn some spanish and help their transition? I'm all for learning Spanish, and any other language if need be (it just might take me a while, haha)

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I get really frustrated when I hear people talk about how everyone should speak english, or get out. America is a country built upon immigrants. I think out of respect for our heritage, we should embrace other cultures and differences.... after all, hundreds of years ago (and for some, maybe not so long ago) people helped your ancesters adjust to the new american culture. Including languge barriers. Although I don't know any spanish, I'd be willing to learn if it would help make the transition a little easier for my students. It will pay off for both of us in the long run.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:23 pm
Site Admin

1. Not all public schools in the United States have always utilized English for lessons. For example, in the 19th C. there were schools in which German was the primary, or only, instructional language.

2. The United States, as of this moment, does not have an "official language."

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Spanish should definitely be learned from day one in all schools. I didnt have the opportunity to take spanish classes until high school. When you get that old and just start to learn a different language its much more difficult. If the spanish children start kindergarten without knowing and have no problem learning the english language then it should be just as simple to introduce spanish at that age and english speaking children will not have a problem. Especially since it is a less complex language.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that some spanish should be learned to help the children to transition to America easier. My problem is I feel like they should learn English too. They are going to struggle if they do not learn English. I believe speaking some Spanish to bridge barriers would be good, but I feel like they should meet us half way. I think the fear is that Americans have is that the immigrants are going to take over and that they will try to make Spanish the national language.

I believe that knowing more than one language is great and I wish I could say I knew more than one language, but I don't. I think that if our nation valued learning more than one language like other countries do we may not have this problem we are having.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]