View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 It's A Girl's World 
All-star
All-star

I watched a movie that I got at the library called "It's A Girls World," that I found very interesting. It was a documentary about how girls use their power to hurt each other. It followed a "popular" group of ten year old girls in Canada and their families. It was very much like a reality tv show in that they gave each of the girls a camera and had them express their feelings about things that were said during the day about them by their own friends. They also taped a woman talking to the group about how they treat each other and showed the video tape to their parents and teachers, who were all shocked. The parents had no idea their daughters were such bullies and the teachers said they had an idea but felt it was not their place to step in, especially since the drama and bullying was among a group of friends. The girls talked about how they would have one of the girls spy for them but that girl may instead be spying for the other and how when they are mad at each other they give each other mean looks and talk about them behind their back. The documentary also discussed a girl from a different school who was 14 years old and killed herself because of all the mean things people were saying about her. I think it would be beneficial for anyone who is wanting to be an elementary or middle school teacher to watch this, and maybe even high school teacher majors. It really goes inside the world of girls at school and gives ideas as to how teachers should deal with these situations.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thanks for sharing that. It really sounds interesting. Gossip is a huge thing with girls especially in school. I remember that in my school our teachers tried to do things and talk about things to try to minimize the gossip and cliques because our class sizes were really small. (There was 30 students in each class and 60 students in each grade) The thing that sucked about gossip at my school was that most of us were there from kindergarten to 8th grade so a stigma you got at an early age stayed with you until you graduated.

But yea...I want to check that movie out. It's nice to get ideas of how to handle these type of things that have a lot of gray area where there can be multiple ways of handling things.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah I am a middle school major and it is amazing some of the things I have learn about this year. I have not seen that movie but it sounds like a good investment. Also for everyone else there are two books that will address some of the same issues. Reviving Ophilia; Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls written by Mary Pipher is a great book on adolescent girls. It goes into girls relationships with their mothers, fathers, friends; it also addresses things such as divorce, depression, drugs/alcohol/sex, body image etc. Even if you are not working with adolescent girls this is an excellent book to read if you have time. It will really open your eyes to a lot of things that we never really reconized at that age. Also there is an equivilent for boys, it is called; Raising Cain, Protecting the Emotional Lives of Boys by Dan Kindlon and Michael Thompson. I just finished reading this book for one of my classes and I was shocked. I am an only child so I never really had any close interaction with boys growing up and this book was amazing. If you get the chance to read either one or both of these books you should, whether educator or not you will see into the lives of youth today.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This reminded me of something on saw on tv not too long ago. A couple of girls had invited a girl who was their age for a sleepover. The girls ended up beating up this girl and taping it. They had set the whole thing up. They were really NOT a friend of this girl(obviously). This girl didnt know that she was being asked to come over and get harassed and picked on. I cant remember exactly the whole story, but the girls who did the violent act put the video of the cruel act online. They apparently thought this was "cool". I could not believe when I heard about this on the news or wherever it was that I saw it. Girls can be so mean and do the most cruel things. Of course, guys can too....BUT I guess it is not as common for girls to "beat up" people.

Teachers have to be aware of things that could be going on in the classroom. I hope to be able to prevent violent acts like this one, before they occur. In middle school I can remember more "gossip" girl problems than in high school. High School of course had PLENTY of drama as well though.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]