View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Student Written Play About War/ Free Speech 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I kind of touched on this in class. While at my internship there was a story on channel one about students at a school in Conn. that wrote and want to perform a play about the soldiers in Iraq. From what I understood the students were making it from the point of view of the soldiers, however there was arguments that the play was biased. The play was rewritten and still rejected. How you do feel about this? It touches on free speech and whether the school administration was right in not allowing the students to act in the play they had written.

Here is a link to the actual news clip:

http://livewire.channelone.com/livewire ... =232018570

Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Its not fair that the administration can regulate this. They have biases about the war the same as the kids acting in it do. No one is forced to go to the play, so I'm with you on freedom of speech.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

yeah -- i am with both of you guys -- freedom of speech -- like lauren said -- they weren't forcing anyone in the community to come and see the play -- they were just putting it on for whoever -- I would have enjoyed to see a play about the soldiers in Iraq

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In this case, instead of pulling an intelligent play such as this, they should have held or encouraged another performance of "the other side." Censoring and ignoring these issues will lead to ignorance. I agree that free speech should be limited by the administrators and teachers in a school, since kids are in a learning, "unbiased" environment. These same people also have the responsibility of exposing students to different sides of things. No wonder students grow up with no idea of the political world - they are too censored!

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]