View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 5th graders having sex in school room 
All-star
All-star

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/03/school ... index.html

That is a link to an article that came out yesterday. There were four students in a 5th grade classroom that were having sex when left unattended for 15 minutes. A fifth student kept "look out" for them. What does this say about our kids, our schools, and our society? In 5th grade I would not have even known how to go about doing what these kids did, let alone in front of 10 of their peers. What is wrong here?

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah, I don't think I even liked boys yet when I was that age. The fact that fifth grade students were having sex - in the classroom - in front of other kids - just blows me away. I think responsibities for teachers just keep growing every year; now it seems we can't let them out of our sight for even a few minutes. This is a crazy world...

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow, how do you avoid something like that. Of course the teacher should have been there but there are always gonna be occasions when the students are left unattended. I know for me in highschool a lot of the students will be doing it but how do you keep it out of the schools. I am sure everyone has stories from highschool about sexual acts that occurred during school but this is elementary level students. I am speachless. I dont think sex ed is a cure for this problem.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow, that blows me away. It kinda makes me wonder how often this happens across the country? Is this a fairly isolated incident or were they just the first to get caught and make national news. No matter what, I honestly don't know what to do about it. There are so many things people can put blame on: Sex Ed in schools, display of sex in advertising and other media, etc. Teaching Sex Ed to younger students is not an answer in my opinion because I believe most sex ed programs teach it in the wrong way. I have always felt it should be more the responsibility of the parents to teach their kids about sex. Even so, I know that is still not the answer. This is a very difficult situation to deal with.

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That article is insane, I am surprised but I at the same time I am not. I think that many children are looking for attention and this is one way to get it. It is very possible that therir parents have not expressed the importance of waiting to have sex until they are older. I ocuold not imagine being the teacher that catches her students in any sexual act. I guess that to be cool now you have to be sexual experiences. What I think is crazy is that not only are these students having sex but many students there age are doing drugs as well.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What the heck? What the hay is happening in this world? When I was in fifth grade, I’m pretty dang sure I didn’t even know how to do it. Not even going to lie, I’m pretty sure I didn’t even know how to make babies. Maybe I did, but it was c l o s e !!! I was definitely not actually implementing my knowledge into experimentation…can you even make babies in fifth grade!? I mean, obviously you can try as this article has showed us, but is it physically possible to “do it?â€

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

yeah -- wow -- This article is totally blowing my mind -- fifth graders having sex in the classroom in front of other students -- it sounds like some crazy rumor but i am sure its not --- kids start doing and knowing about things way younger these days -- I am sure I didn't even know what sex was in the fifth grade -- fifth grade for me was the year I found Santa wasn't real -- like Johnna said responsibilties for teachers keep growing and growing -- we are not going to be able to leave our students alone for one min

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

WOW! just like the rest of you I am speechless...
I can't imagine 5th graders doing something like that, even having a look-out and everything is just really creeepy. I think that there are definately issues with the way and what age sex-ed is taught, but with a situation like this I don't think sex-ed has much to do with it. I think that kids are just exposed to so much more than we were when we were children. THings on tv and in the movies are becoming more and more riskay (however you spell that!), they think that just because they put a sexually explicit program or movie on past 9pm doesn't mean 5th graders (or children younger) won't seem them. Many children are unsuprivised when it comes to tv and movies and now a days sex is a common act showed in them, it seems like we are becoming more and more desensitized to what is appropriate to show.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is sooo scary to me! I mean, I knew that students were definitely exposed to more these days than when I was growing up, but fifth graders having sex??? I mean, the fact that they had a lookout and the fact that other kids were watching, it's all horrifying to think about! I don't think I completely understood how it worked in fifth grade! Kids are growing up so fast these days. What does this mean for us as teachers? Where is the innocence?

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

First off, I will agree with everyone that I was baffled by this article.

Secondly, does anyone think this would qualify as negligence?? I don't know myself, but I thought I would throw the question out there.

Third, does this show a generation gap?? I think I remember my mother saying that kids are having sex younger and younger these days, and as I get older, that seems true. Maybe it is a generation gap. Maybe it is the South. Maybe it is coming from a sheltered life.

Maybe too many kids are getting bad ideas from watching Springer and Maury.

Either way, remember: Media will always exploit the bad parts of education. Our job is to make it good and keep our heads up, even when crap like this is exposed.

But goodness gracious!

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think the major issue here is that the students had sex but that they had sex in school in front of a classroom. I mean it is one thing to catch kids having sex at home or some private location but i think this case calls for some psychiatric evaluation. Something is clearly bothering these children or has some incident or atmosphere that they are exposed to has caused them to thing this kind of voyeurism is okay. I don't think this is something that should worry any teacher but should just be made aware of so that you know the possibilities of what has or what could happen. I don't think it is in the minds of every young person in America to have sex in front of their classmates before they graduate.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:11 am
Site Admin

Thanks so much for your comments. There is no doubt in my mind that there is something going on in the lives of one, or both of the kids. Have they been sexually abused? Maybe. Have they been exposed to a parent "entertaining" a person of the opposite sex in exchange for money? Maybe. (This is more common than you might think.)

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow, I have heard about this kind of stuff before, but never as young as 5th grade! I think this clearly states something about our media and popular culture. When I was in 5th grade, I might've had a crush on a couple of girls in the class, but I didn't even know what sex was. Heck, I didn't even want to kiss those girls I had a crush on. I think this also says somthing about the way we teach sex ed. Do we need to start it earlier, or what? I remember hearing about people in middle school that were having sex, and I was shocked. Call me old fashioned I guess

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:16 am
All-star
All-star

I think that this issue just goes to show that kids ar enot as naieve (sp?) as we think... I think schools and parents (especially) should begin an open dialogue about sexuality and their child's body from an early age. I think cihldren should feel they can come to their parents or teachers if they need help dealing with diffiuclt issues regarding sexuality. I hope both students involved in this story manage to get a strong mentor and some guidance in their lives....

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think this says anything about our 5th grade age children at large. This seems like an extremely rare event. I agree with Dustin that there must be something in the lives of the children in involved which has led them to do this. Also, 5th graders, like all children, are curious and if they have been exposed to sex early then they may have been trying to immulate what they had been exposed to. It is distrubing that it was done inside a classroom, or at all. Many children are developing at younger ages and this may also have an affect on these children.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What happened to cooties and playing on the playground when you are 11?? I know for sure that when I was in 5th grade the last thing I wanted was sex... as some of you have said I am not even sure that I knew what it was.... how is it possible that four students knew enough about it AND wanted it that bad that they would do it in front of the class? I wonder how horrified the other classmates were!

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]