View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 I pledge allegiance... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just recently the N.C. legislation has required teachers to have the Pledge of Allegiance said in their classroom's each morning. In the Asheville Citizen times they had an article about it:
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs. ... 0770406098
...A 5th grade teacher in Asheville had each of her students go home and talk with their families discussing what they thought about the allegiance, then writing a paragraph about what they would do each morning during the pledge and why. It was extremetly interesting to read the diverse reactions of each child, many of which I wouldn't have thought a 5th grader could have written.
How do you all feel about this new requirement, do you think kids should be required to do it each morning? I grew up never saying it in school, I couldn't even recite it for you today, I never learned it...does that make me a "bad" or unworthy American?

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Is it just me, or what it optional to say the pledge when we were in school?

Also, how the hell are they going to enforce this one? Sounds like wasted paper writing to me, especially when so many kids don't understand the pledge, what it means, or where it even came from (PS, it does not have that rich of a history, its only been around since the 50s, I think). As I walked by the classrooms West Wilkes Middle School last week, I saw plenty classrooms doing nothing during this time. Plus, with so many Hispanics in the classroom, it is odd to "force" them to pledge to something they may not support, let alone understand.

Pointless lawmaking is what I think this is. Its up there with the national legislature passing a law to regulate carbon dioxide emission by individuals (which falls under breathing and flatulence). Oh, and that rumor of the brothel law in Watauga County. Silly politicians!

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"I don’t say the Pledge of Allegiance because I don’t believe that any of the things it says are true. First of all, we should be pledging allegiance to the Constitution, not the flag. Second of all, I’m not very happy with the government right now. Also there’s that tiny little bit about, “under God.â€

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Scott (a lot!) about the whole not believing in what the pledge states. I, myself, do not believe in a single god and to say that there is only one god is pretty wrong. (and silly) Also the whole government thing. Liberty and Justice for all, HAHA, thats a joke right? Where I grew up we recited the pledge, and sang a bunch of songs (America the Beautiful and a few others that I do not know the names of) and I never really got anything out of it. Other than learning at a young age that I can't sing. I think it is stupid to make children recite the pledge, what are they getting out of it? A sense of community and national pride? no, it is just one more thing that they will stumble through and pay no attention to at school.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:16 pm
All-star
All-star

First of all, I don't think not saying or knowing the Pledge of Alligence necissarily makes you a bad American. It is only a symbol. I agree with Mary, what's the point in saying it if you don't understand what your saying. I think that before students are made to say the Pledge, they should be taught what each part of it means. This way when they can decide if they want to say it or not and when they do say it, if they choose to say it, they will know what they are saying and why.

I can understand the governement wanting to make it manditory for students to say the Pledge, but instead I think that they should make it mandatory for the Pledge to be said, for students to have the option of saying the Pledge. This way students who want to can and those who opt not to can sit during it.

I also like what Scott said about not wanting to say the Pledge when you don't feel the government or the country is something you are proud of at the moment. If nothing else, saying the Pledge could be a symbol of what this country was based on and not on how it is being run at the moment. Does anyone else think the Pledge stands more for what this country was based on than how it stands now?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:52 pm

this is an interesting subject to talk about over the internet in my opinion. I had to say the pledge every morning in elementary school and in middle school. In high school it was optional. I am all for loving you country and all but what does the pledge have to do with that? To me it is a way to conform the youth into loving the government.

it sounds rediculous to say but...i dunno its a thought

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I remember growing up in an elementry school that required the pledge of allegence. I remember saying it and having a bit of fun with making up new words or saying it in strange ways because saying it everyday was boring. I am not sure what messages the students are getting from saying it every morning, but because we said it every day I never thought of it as a big deal. It was something that I ignored. Sarah had a good point about letting the students choose to say it or not, although I could see some controversy over students who want to prove their allegance.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]