View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Support System 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am someone who believes that each profession should have a somewhat "professional" support system, meaning that those within that job should be available to discuss problems, issues, etc. This being said, what do you guys think will be your "support system" once you reach the "professional" world? (Am I using enough quotations for you)? I have talked to a principal recently, and she said that she often confides in an older mentor outside her school system. Just an idea to get you started. Any thoughts??

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that they give you a mentor during your first year of teaching, a more experienced teacher who you can go to when you need help. Also, when looking for a job, look for a place where the principal and the teachers already have a supportive environment.
A friend of mine, who is a first year teacher, was telling me about team-teaching, where all the teachers in (for example) 3rd grade get together to develop lesson plans.
I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but these are the things that I have heard about!

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I like the idea of having a mentor your first year, is this true for all types of teachers? I like the idea of having all the teachers of a common grade or subject getting together and making lesson plans, or maybe even shareing stories, strategies, and idea's. I think this would be a good thing to do in every school. I can't really think of other "support systems" other than maybe my mom, if she could be considered a "support system." I would love to know examples of what would be a good outside "support system."

Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I interned at a school where they used teaming. All the teachers of the sixth gade would have the same time set aside during the school day, every day, to plan and interact with the other teachers of their grade. In my experience, this was a very effective support system. All of the teachers in this group became very close and most of the time was actually spent discussing personal problems or concerns rather than planning lessons. Nevertheless, I think it is very important to have this kind of teacher closeness.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]