View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Teacher Pay and Good Area's to Teach?!? 

Do you plan to stay and teach in Boone?
yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
no 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 4

Teacher Pay and Good Area's to Teach?!? 
All-star
All-star

I was looking up available jobs and starting pay the other day; I am trying to decide where I want to live after I graduate and where I would want to do student teaching if Boone is not available. Anyway, I found out starting pay for Elementary Ed teachers in NC is 27,000, but there are many other incentives. Chapel Hill for example offers free continuing ed towards your master, no deposite for apartments and 100 dollars off rent for some areas, free checking, 10 percent off a car, a smaller mortgage for a house if you have good credit, and 2000 dollars cash for signing up.

I was just putting this out there and wondering if anyone has heard of any areas that offer more for begginning teachers. Does anyone know a place that would be good to do student teaching either?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think boone needs good teachers just like every where else but other than going to college, living here would not make me happy.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

teacher pay is such a frustrating topic for me, not that money is very important to me, but it just doesn't seem ethical to pay teachers so little. Our jobs are not only important but very difficult and time consuming. There are particular places that pay teachers more, but it is usually evened out by the higher cost of living in that area.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sarah, I don't know any specific places for student teaching, but from what I've heard from my friends who have already gone through the process, the key is just getting in touch with different teachers and finding one that you think is a good model of the teacher you would like to be.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Something that is interesting to me though is a discussion I had earlier with a student teacher. The pay/incentives/what have you are different throughout the state, which was something that I had not realized. Also, it seems as if the more "succesfull" school systems have that more money to pay those teachers. I.E. Wake vs. Wilkes County. Interesting how these "unsuccesful" counties have the largest teacher rollover rate as well. I guess it all does depend on money.

PS. The rollover rate seems sow high at West Wilkes Middle that today, I acutally got a job offer from a teacher and an administrator.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The base teacher salary for the state is actually pretty consistent. The reason some places pay more for teachers is that each county has their own supplement to add to the base teacher salary. Band directors actually get paid a fraction more for doing marching band and the after school obligations that they have to fulfill (kind of like a coach). But i did notice that if i was to get a band director job in Chatham county, the supplement for me there would be 10,000. This is just with a BE. School systems also pay more for ME and Doctoral degrees as well as becoming national board certified. The supplement for the counties i want to teach in is around 1000-2000 dollars for being a band director.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]