View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Sex Education in NC 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We kind of got onto this topic in another thread I think, and I just recently found this article.
http://www.hickoryrecord.com/servlet/Sa ... 3350518626

I think this is a very good idea. The old method isn't working very well (as we can see by the recent incident with the 5th graders). Teenagers are going to have sex, there is enough sex in the media these days that hearing "don't have sex until you are married" from teachers is not going to stop it. I think it is fine to emphasize abstinence but sex ed should also include information on STDs and prevention methods. If the school isn't talking about it, and parents aren't talking to their kids about it (I know a lot of people whose parents never gave them the birds and the bees talk) then who is going to teach them? They are going to find out somehow, better it be from the schools then somewhere untrustworthy. What do you think?

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I'm glad you posted this Scott. I completely agree. One thing that I have a major problem with is teaching abstinence and abstinence only. Not to say they should take it out of the curriculum, but they definitely should include prevention methods for STD's and pregnancy, this way if student's do decide to have sex they will know how to protect themselves. Also, I believe if the choice of having sex was introduced with the realities of STD’s, pictures of STD’s, and other scary idea's that go along with sex, real idea’s, more student's may choose abstinence when the time comes. Those pictures are hard to get out of your head!

Just Curious, does anyone disagree and believe schools should teach abstinence alone?

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One thing i remember when being taught sex ed is that scare tactics were used frequently. Various STDs were explained to us in a way that would terrify most students. What do you guys think about this method of teaching sex?

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the main point of Sex Ed should be to provide accurate information in a way that allows the students to make their own choices. I mean lets face it, we as teachers are not going to be able to stop our students from having sex if they have their mind set on doing so. So as long as they have the correct information and are informed of the consequences, i believe this is all that we as educators can do. Also, i believe sex is like many other things such as alcohol and drugs. The idea of sex is so grand because it is something that students are told not to or not allowed to do. Take alcohol, lots of people drink before they are 21 and then when they turn 21 the idea of drinking is not as tempting because nobody is telling them not to do it. My point is that abstinence should be taught as the only true birth control and preventative measure for STD's, not just forced down kids throats telling them not to have sex.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]