View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Does It Matter? 
All-star
All-star

Ok one more, I'm not doing these to get them done, I just saw something outside the library and thought that I'd share.

Two little girls were walking up the steps into the library and they were arguing over whether someone they saw was a boy or a girl. "It's a boy." "No it's a girl." and the adult following them asked as she opened the door, "does it matter?" It made me smile and I commented "What a great question!" I just thought it was ironic because we were discussing that in class, how that would be a good question to ask if the students were caught up on someone's sexuality.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The same kind of off thing happened over my spring break and on my trip was a lesbian couple. One of the girls referred to herself as a gender bender because of her shaved head and dress. Our group took a tour of Independence Hall in Philly and there was another group of 8th grade girls from Ohio that were very intrigued by her appearance. They keep giggling and asking each other "Is that a boy?" "Is that a girl?" "Are they holding hands?" But they were not very discrete about their questions and everyone could hear what they were saying. So then it became a game for my friends and the girl that was the "gender bender" tried to act more masculine to confuse them. As soon as the tour was over and we were outside she unbuttoned her shirt to revel her wife-beater and started screaming "I have boobs" to she the 8th graders that yes she was a girl and yes she was kissing another girls. It was a very comical moment for our entire group and an opener for the sheltered girls from Ohio.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

wow, that is so refreshing to hear Sarah, I'm so glad that there are people out there that would put things into perspective for some youngsters. I think a lot of things that people debate/gossip about should be replyed to as "Does it matter". We need to focus on looking at everyone as human beings, not gay, lesbian, black, asian, gothic...

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Actually I dont know if yall even watch American Idol (i just watch the beginning when they are doing auditions) but I think it was two seasons ago they had a contestant that looked/acted like a girl, PS he was a boy. The television show made a big deal about this particular case because the boy got really upset when he did not make the cut and I believe Simon commented on his clothes or something and it became a big deal. ANYWAYS back to my point, I was watching this particular show with my parents and as this kid was singing my parents were debating whether it was boy or girl, I had the same reaction as that teacher, does it matter? I think they were a little shocked by my reaction, must be a generational thing...

PS its really late so I'm not sure if that makes any sense!

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One of the biggest things that i have learned in college is that there can never be enough questions. A large difference between me in high school and me now is that i am either constantly asking questions to others or to myself to rationalize situations. This is one thing that young children and teenagers don't understand. There is not always one distinct answer and often times multiple answers can be correct and that is perfectly okay. In high school i tended to think that most things were pretty cut and dry but i have learned since i came to college that the more questions i ask the more deeper issues i come across and are forced to rationalize.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm like you Dustin, I have learned a lot about different kinds of people in college. I came from a small town where everyone was pretty much the same. I do like the question "Does it matter?" I mean, I would feel really bad if I said, "Whats up guy?" to a woman, that might be a bit offensive. But as long as people are happy about expressing themselves, then I'm happy for them.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]