View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 ASU classes 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So I know that ASU supposedly had a really good teaching program (and don't get me wrong I've loved a lot of my classes), but sometimes I feel like I'm just wasting my time. Do you all think that sitting in a classroom learning is better than getting more field work, is there a solution to this problem? Do you all think it's neccesary to take classes like PE in the elementary schools, when they are really just teaching us to be PE teachers? THis may seem discoherent cause it's really late at night...so sorry!

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I definitely feel you here. I feel like some of my classes have been amazingly helpful, and others, I am like.....what the world? I also have some problems with ed majors having to take Poli Sci and Intro Art.....I think they are out for our money and keeping us here as long as they can.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, I feel like most of the information I am recieving is good information and I can take a lot from it, the first time I hear it. However, it seems that in a lot of my classes I am getting the same information over and over again, to where I am not learning new things. Just finding out different ways to say the same things over and over. Anyone else feel this way. I am middle grades and I don't think I am alone in this thought.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For me as a music education major, more field experience would be amazing. Really the only time i have even been around students in schools has been through CI 2800. I also was around elementary aged students last year but they met my class here on campus and my professor pretty much did everything and we just observed mostly. Now, my next huge step is student teaching and I have just recently been provided with a huge portion of information (musically) that is important to my field. It would be nice to be able to apply this knowledge before student teaching in a real classroom setting so that i can be more relaxed and helpful from the very start of student teaching.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:01 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Emily, this information is useful... the first time you learn it. I do feel that a lot of my classes are a bit repetitive, although sometimes that's a good thing (like when I can use my teaching perspective or lesson plans that I've already wrote for multiple classes). However, I feel that for everything that is repeated, there are two things I learn that are new information, or at least new to me.

While I am getting a little bored of classes, homework, and tests and would love to be in the classroom learning that way, I feel that these classes are a good thing. I want to be completely prepared before I am thrown into a classroom, even as a teacher's assistant. Not to mention, we get our moments in certain classes, in which we teach maybe two or three classes, or get to tutor children. To me those seem like good steps to transform us from students into teachers.

I understand where everyone is comming from on this point though. I just keep reminding myself that I will be doing my fieldwork in one year, and then I remind myself that one year is not as long as it sounds, in fact one year goes by rather quickly.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree. There have been some very useful classes and then some classes that I just think are ridiculous. My concentration is music and this semester I am in a MUS 2021 class which is supposed to be a class on how to incorporate music into the elementary classroom. Instead, I feel that I am learning how to teach music class. I hear ya on the PE class, every school has a PE teacher, why do I have to learn how to teach it??? I just look at what I will have to teach and wonder if I'll be ready based on the education I'm recieving here. Granted, I'm not in Block I yet, so more education classes are on the way for me!

Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree Suzanne. I think more field work would be a great thing. It seems like finding your own teaching style before you have to have the full responsibility of being a teacher would be very beneficial. I felt so strongly that I was wasting my time in the school of Ed, I'm no longer an education major.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]