View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The hulla hoop rule... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was wondering (guys especially) how you all felt about the rules that inform teachers that they can't hug students or be close (a hulla hoop distance away)...or be by themselves with the kids? Is it too harsh? Does it damage that emotional and nourtouring relationship between a teacher and student? I know they are trying to keep our children safe, but is it damaging them more?

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that these rules are largely in effect to protect teachers. The "not being alone with students" i can understand because what you can't control is what other students say. You could have a perfectly professional meeting with a student but somebody else in the school could state otherwise and all of a sudden you are being investigated. I also don't think that teachers should initiate the hugging of students. If students want to give you a hug (especially elementary aged ones) I believe you should allow them. The main thing is just protecting the teacher from any falsified information because a door was shut or he/she was standing too close or hugged a student.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't really agree with this current policy. Like Dustin said, it is designed for the safty of the teachers just as much as the students, but I am not sure if it accomplishes much of anything. Instead of increasing the security of student and teacher it creates a barrier of confusion. The best teacher student relationships cannot be limited by a policy that doesn't take into account the many intricacies that exist in a learning environment.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]